TEAC A-H500 integrated, phono stage left channel dead. Repairers?

FoL#1 Ellie’s amp has developed a fault on the left channel of the phono stage, it outputs, but at an infinitesimally low level. All the other inputs are fine so I tried a known good MM cart and swapped headshells to rule them out. Eventually I swapped out the entire amp for my old Arcam 8R and that confirmed the fault is with the TEAC.

I took the covers off and got rid of most of the dust and fluff in there but can’t see anything obvious like a bust cap or burned out resistor, so immediately it has become beyond my capabilities…

I’d like to have this repaired because A: Ellie likes it, and B: I want to sell the Arcam.

Is there anyone in the NW that would come recommended to repair this really quite nice little amp? Simon @sjs would it be something that you’d be interested in doing? Istr there’s a guy in Bolton who’s been mentioned as decent before?

Mike Powell in bolton

1 Like

Cheers Paul.

1 Like

Booked in with Mike for Monday. Told Ellie she’d be paying for it…

Mike’s good. Only does and charges for what he has to.

Yeah, had a chat with him, seems like a good bloke. I’ve got a tape deck that needs new belts so might take that up too.

Get Ellie to pay for that as well

4 Likes

:rofl:

You jest, but she has an old Walkman and gets me to make mixtapes for her…

1 Like

No I meant that she will have no idea what it costs to repair her amp so bung the cost of your tape deck on top. She is a teenager, she is into you for loads, she will only spend it on K-Pop anyway :grinning:

1 Like

Ahhh… sounds like a plan! :smiley:

Got to start learning real life lessons at some point … :grinning:

Indeed. Wait till it’s new cartridge time, I’ll sell her my OC9 and treat myself to a Koetsu…

1 Like