The AA Bridge Thread

I fucking love bridges. Especially the Severn Suspension Bridge as it was a world first.

It introduced an Aerodynamic Box Girder Deck and Inclined Hangers.

This happened quite by accident as it was originally going to be based on the Forth Road Bridge design.

A wind tunnel model was destroyed accidentally so William Brown created an Aerodynamic Box Girder model and tested it at the National Physics Laboratory in Teddington.

Bridges directly related to the Severn Crossing are:

Bosphorus Bridge
Humber Bridge

And the longest suspension bridge in the world has an Aerodynamic Box Girder Deck although it is of a split design- also a William Brown innovation…

https://youtu.be/1nGCevk8a30

I had planned to share a link to BBC The Severn Bridge at 50 A Highwire Act, but that is no longer available…

2 Likes

Biffens

2 Likes

I bid 7 trumps :joy:

3 Likes

I watched the Humber bridge being built as a nipper.
Block by block along the span.

Shame they never made the east coast motorway line.

2 Likes

Not a valid bid I’m afraid :smile:

1 Like

Went to Iron Bridge the other year.

Arrived to see this, ffs.

8 Likes

I open the bidding with one spade.

Yeah, they need a lot of work it seems. I walked the Thames Path from Tilehurst to Pangbourne quite a bit last winter. As you approach Pangbourne the toll bridge between there and Whitchurch can be a really beautiful sight as the morning sun catches it

(not my pic - credit to Geoff Jones at All Trails)

You might think it’s Victorian, or perhaps Edwardian. In fact it was completely rebuilt by Atkins in 2013-4, albeit preserving the look of the 1902 rebuild and using some bits of that bridge. There had also been a rebuild in 1852-3 of the original 1792 bridge.

1 Like

Too late :unamused:

140 years of Scottish bridge building.

4 Likes

At least kettle has played the game and understands the bidding rules :grinning:

1 Like

Although I doubt Jim would stick to 7 trumps, there would probably be a double and then redouble.

2 Likes

And he wouldn’t like the seat he is in and would want to swap

1 Like

I like how we have both “AA” and “Thread” in the title. Presumably just to wind up @browellm ? :grin:

3 Likes

Must admit, I was expecting a dedicated omnibus geek-out first, but bridges are good, too :ok_hand:

Now here’s some ‘I’m an annoying cunt who’s been there on holiday’ pics wot I took -

Tiny bit of post-processing on this one - 2014-going-on-1914…

I spent 3 solid days exploring as much of it as I could get access to :heart_eyes: - helped in no small measure by it being 20mins walk from Sam’s apartment at the time…

5 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes

Essentially this is the thread.

1 Like