The Boys' Own Book of Aeroplanes

Ooh la la

3 Likes

Looks like it’s running to catch up

The Caravelle incorporated elements of the DH Comet, including the nose & cockpit.

2 Likes

And cool plectrum shaped windows.

A well looked after one in Stockholm although my Swedish isn’t up to much.
https://www.lecaravelleclub.org

1 Like

Puff the Magic Dragon . . .

2 Likes

Didn’t you end-up with something woefully unsuitable like Starfighters?

Suspect the model might have been for wind-tunnel testing.

I do like the V Force planes, especially the Victor.

7 Likes

My worst airline experience was in the 80s, thanks to one of these:

It was an absolute miracle we arrived!

1 Like

https://drunkard.com/

ran an excellent article about getting drunk on planes (this was in the 90s).

They recommended Malev etc. because the rolling stock, as it were, was so shit that the cabin crew just used almost infinite free hard liquor to sedate the terrified passengers.

2 Likes

Tsr-2?

I worked on Typhoon with a couple of guys who also worked on that… reckoned it was a decade or so ahead of its time. Criminal to destroy it :disappointed:

Nice that some of its dna survived to this

Which became this

Watching the tornado chase plane trying to keep up with the development typhoon (same engines) was comical - like Jeremy Clarkson chasing Pele

5 Likes

Starfighters and Voodoos

1 Like

I loved the DC3 that I jumped from at Perris Valley Skydiving in California back in the 90s. Great old plane.

Edit - From the page where I found the pic dated 2018:

N26MA 79 years old and still going strong!

Clearly these old Douglas planes were built to last.

6 Likes

I think my favourite memory is the climb up the aisle to my seat. It was steeper than imagined.

3 Likes

I used to see the Gannets flying as a kid, always fascinated me. Massive bloody lumps too .

With you on the post war piston planes, the zenith of their design. 20’000ft in 5 minute and 450 mph

If you are H Hughes, pop two contra rotating engines on your plane. This one crashed and the design reverted to single prop.

4 Likes

Love the Gannet - one of aviation’s ‘designed-by-a-committee’ bumblebees…

As for the Fury… :eggplant: :bone: :eggplant: :bone: :eggplant: :bone: :eggplant: :bone: :eggplant:

It would be a toss-up between a Hornet or one of these if I won the lottery… (notwithstanding the small matter of a pilot’s licence and the fact no Hornets exist, nor even comprehensive plans… :frowning: ).

1 Like

*The only photo of the Concorde at superspeed. The plane actually had to slow down from Mach 2 to Mach 1.5 so this shot could be taken.

*Allegedly

The ONLY passenger plane I wish I’d travelled in.

@coco need not reply
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

13 Likes

Didn’t realise concorde didn’t start work til 76,we used to marvel at it in 69/70 when it was on test runs as we played football in the park below it.

3 Likes

I remember it when I lived in Fulham, I’d be sitting on the roof terrace quaffing a g&t and it would roar overhead. Outrageously loud but worth it.

5 Likes

I flew with them to Nigeria in 1989 and it was truly scary, think it was some old 60’s ex Aeroflot Tupolev piece of shit.

I was living right next to Heathrow in West Drayton for a couple of years in the 90s. Think you get used to the normal aircraft noise, but it was hard to not hear concorde each night. Iirc it was just after 7pm each night.

3 Likes