The Milk Float Thread

RIP.

And as the taxman sees his revenues from fossil fuel duties diminish he will find ever more ingenious ways to get this money from EV motorists instead.

Make hay while the sun shines…

2 Likes

Puts a big differential between the 3 and things like the Niro and (if it does come in at under ÂŁ35k) the EV6 and the like. Without paywalling my way in, it may depend on the effect on salary sacrifice schemes as well.

As an aside, anyone heading to Fully Charged Outside in September? We originally booked it when it was meant to be in May last year.

Got 4 test drives booked w/c 12th april when the shops are due to open.

208-e
Zoe
MGZS-ev (same dealer as Zoe so might as well have a go)
Leaf

Can get a fully maintained mid spec Zoe with 10k miles over 3 yrs for under ÂŁ280 a month direct from Renault.

With alterations to car use the end result is at most £50 a month more than we’re paying to fuel and maintain our 2 IEC cars. Probably closer to break even if we use it for every journey within its range.

Not sure how the altered subsidy rates alter the numbers, but i don’t think £500 will change our plans.

1 Like

Big article about Electric Car ownership in Which today.
The focus is on infrastructure which they say is shit.
We need to simply be able to pay at meter with a debit or credit card and not be penalised for it and not have to download network specific apps.
RFID cards should be binned
There should be standardisation on one DC plug and socket.
Just like we now have Petrol Deisel signage in the fuel caps manufacturers should put max AC and DC charging rates next to sockets so people use the right ones.
Tesla got its own little moany section!

2 Likes

That’s the future.
For now it deters the early investors. Bit like a new drug patent that becomes generic eventually.

You have to let the people up front have some pay dirt.

Turns out the large mains switch for it needs a wiggle and a slap to connect. They will be installing a proper switch this week.
We have to switch it off inside the building as it is quite easy to remove the six screws and short the key switch to switch it on.
All a bit amateurish.

The future is 9 years away, this stuff should be being built now.
You wouldn’t pull into a petrol station now and be told you needed to download an app to pay and if you wanted to pay by debit card there would be an extra charge.

As to the future Tesla were asked if there were any plans to allow their charger system to be used by other brand vehicles the spokesman for Tesla said that the company “would not make any future-looking statements.”

They have to pay off the debt and get into profit.

They are happy to share tech. But not money!

Elitist wankery
How does non Tesla owners using their charging system (and paying for it) do anything except increase Tesla’s revenue?

With 9 years to go I think I will run my car for as long as possible and take advantage of the scrappage scheme that is sure to be put in place nearer the time

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to the yanks using Tesla kit for military applications. It’ll then come under export controls making it all totally unaffordable and the Chinese will copy it anyway

The Tesla infrastructure is a real reason to buy a Tesla over another EV. If you do a lot of motorway miles you’d be ok with a Tesla, but any other car would be a disaster. You’re limited to much slower chargers (50 vs 120), far fewer (2-3 per service station Vs 12) and much worse maintained.

The revenue from the charging is nothing compared to that.

That’s the point. They won’t share as it makes people buy their cars.
They need to shift units to recoup the debt and start to get somewhere close to a future profit.

2 Likes

Just like Apple, use a totally different comnnection system to the rest of the world for selfish cuntish reasons.

It doesn’t make people do anything, the rest of the market will catch up eventually, in the mean time they have lost a customer as I will never buy a Tesla.

wat?

Kevin: “This hill here - I’m going to arbitrarily choose to die on it.”
Elon: “Err… ok :woozy_face:”

4 Likes
5 Likes

Or go the whole hog and make it coal powered.