The Monarchy (now mostly about money)

That is a relief

A Royal Mail statement said:

Following the passing of HM Queen Elizabeth II, Royal Mail has confirmed that stamps bearing the image of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II remain valid for use.

These include definitive stamps – regular ‘everyday’ stamps – and special stamps. As previously announced, following the introduction of barcodes to everyday stamps, these stamps remain valid until the end of January 2023.

All special stamps that have already been announced will be issued, although the launch dates of some may change. In line with past practice, following the death of a monarch all existing post boxes will remain unchanged. Post boxes already in production or being prepared for installation will also retain the insignia of Queen Elizabeth II.

I had forgotten this bit of top trolling

7 Likes

I agree. They’re would need to be a full plan with detail, and there should be 3 options:

1 keep the monarchy, and no further vote for 20 years
2 this alternative
3 some other republican system, to be decided

If 1 or 2 get over 50%, then it’s decided, and if 3 then there would be another vote in 2-5 years. If nothing gets over 50% then at least 5 years to the next vote.

You should rebrand as C3-PO

1 Like

Marketing tag line ‘We’re doomed’

1 Like

Or in the case of R2D2 - “we’re domed”

2 Likes

I think you’re gonna have to ban yourself

5 Likes

Probably. But not before I ban :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

6 Likes
2 Likes

No shortage of irony that Boris Johnson has probably done his best speech for years (or possibly ever) on the passing of Her Madge.

2 Likes

My son’s school has postponed its sale of second hand winter coats out of respect for the passing of the Queen.

2 Likes

I’m certainly not a Royalist but I do believe that QEII added something positive to the national psyche. I think Charles could also do that, to a lesser degree.

Imo, the UK being without a Royal family will just accelerate the slide into the sludge of inniquity we aspire to.

1 Like

Another classic of this new genre.
https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1568167498410778631?s=20&t=3bk1PahnphzmsKPlSTeO5Q

Catch yourself on, Britain.

4 Likes

My personal favourite;

5 Likes

He could do it to a greater degree. He could remove himself as head of church, he could not have to give royal assent to Bills, royal prerogative so abused by Johnson can go, he could remove himself from role of forming a government. In other words he could disestablish the royal family, something that works just fine elsewhere.

He won’t of course, because he doesn’t see it that way and being unelected, we will have no say in it.

AA etc etc…

1 Like

I would agree on all bar the political stuff. I believe, especially considering the last Tory government, that there needs to be an independent “final decision maker”, however weak their actual power.

So weak that they actually make zero decisions, that’s half the problem, the monarch does not provide any checks and balances at all. Surely we are way past the point where our elected reps need to report to an hereditary monarch for fucking tea once a week.

We should have a discussion, a national discussion about our democracy, it doesn’t work and I see zero reason for one single family to be involved in it.

2 Likes

I have no problem, at all, with this, but I think you might be surprised at the outcome.

No I won’t, no discussion will take place, Tories love the monarchy, nothing will change.