The Monarchy (now mostly about money)

I have heard some people singing hymns in services where that would be a distinct improvement.

1 Like
3 Likes

Yes I do.

1 Like

6 Likes

Painted door, window sills and grouted the kitchen sink splashback - on a roll. Background music now the quite dirg-y military marches.

1 Like

Tried salvaging some planks from a couple of pallets. Every fucking one split.

So having a beer and listening to choons instead.

2 Likes

How’s the horse? :rofl:

Happily munching grass and will come back to a stable full of lovely, new clean shavings, which she will immediately shit and piss on.

Meanwhile:

13 Likes

One seemingly unimportant effect of all this is that a number of my colleagues won’t have a place to rest and eat meals because a number of London Bus Operators don’t provide these facilities.

Im ok because I campaigned for one back in 2017. Purley is absolutely dead. Very little is open there.

We have watched the Queens funeral with sadness and admiration of a woman who kept her promise to her country and served with great dignity. It appears that we are in the minority on this forum and open to ridicule by some and disparaging comments by others, we all have our views. My preference is to respect and mourn an extraordinary person.

22 Likes

We have 2 cafes and 1 cafe/deli open today on Ham Parade.

12 Likes
3 Likes

100% agree. Doesn’t matter what others do / think :+1:

2 Likes

I watched most of it and was very impressed with the ceremony etc.

Absolute respect for the Queen.

9 Likes

While there have been some amusing posts regarding the media treatment and the process, I haven’t noticed any ridicule or disrespect of forum members. Sorry to hear that you feel that way. I’m sure nobody intended to cause you any offence.

3 Likes

Watched a little but as I was in work supporting the Lying in State and the first stages of the breakdown not that much. It’s been a mixture of hard work, slightly strange requests I can’t share the details of, but most of all a honour. However praise has to go to colleagues of all grades from carprenters, electricians, IT colleagues right through to the SAA and Black Rod. Sarah Clarke Black Rod has been amazing, thanking colleagues across the board at any chance she has, as well as the many many duties and responsibilities she has had to fulfil in Parliament and across all events.

15 Likes

Personally …

Massed pipers and a gun carriage pulled by ratings: yes

Closing the bike racks in Norwich for a week “as a mark of respect”: no, and worthy of all the scorn I can muster.

The increasingly hysterical orgy of the mawkish, the infantile and the downright weird, lumpen effigies of the Queen in every charity shop window, Paddington Bear being co-opted as the official harvester of souls, all this too can get in the bin.

9 Likes

And fucking post box cosies. Fucks’s sake.

2 Likes

Oh yeah.

Our local nutballs were boasting about, and expecting kudos for, staying up all night guerilla-knitting a crown postbox-thing as soon as it was announced that she’d died.

All the respect. Not ghoulish at all.

1 Like