The Monarchy (now mostly about money)

She was amazing, it needs to be said more. The Queen did fuck all (rightly so)

Some wag in Kent has the right idea…

7 Likes

British Shit; the BEST Shit in the world. :uk: :uk: :uk:

1 Like

Google: do an AI picture of Farage.

2 Likes

Shout out to the Bath community service guys

17 Likes

Out of curiosity, I typed ‘Coronation Frisbee’…

2 Likes

If people are unsure if the country could thrive without a constitutional monarchy its worth remembering that 95% of countries manage just fine. That figure increases if you remove absolute monarchies such as those in the middle east. Lots of questions about the mechanics, but each has more than one option.

Take the CofE and who would head it up once it is disestsblished. The church could decide to retain the services of the Windsor family or more likely reside everything with the Bish of Cantebury.

What about other countries who share our monarch. They would need time to develop a political system that suits them, one or two may want Protectorate status etc. It won’t be for the UK to dictate, but we will have a responsibility to help with a transition.

The Crown Estate, again just something to negociate with the Windsors but the majority will come to Parliament to either manage via a government minister or sell.

Etc etc

As for what system we choose, lots to choose from and there would need to be a period of managed public debate and hopefully a political concensus on the way ahead.

2 Likes

Will no one think of the commemorative dishcloth manufacturers?

6 Likes

Excellent. I read that as ‘shocked loyals’

And pity the top lawn didn’t have a crown mowed into it

1 Like

Speaking of crowns:

Would make a very impressive drunken trophy to wake up to with no memory of how you got it.

2 Likes

China will do fine without it…

5 Likes

BBC News currently showing a SloMo flyby of of what might be a cgi crown so we poor plebs might drool & pledge our allegiance that bit harder.

2 Likes

You mean to say you’re not going to? :astonished:

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

5 Likes

Guys allegiances lie elsewhere

4 Likes

The head of state in Canada, the Governor General has been an entirely ceremonial role forever. His/her only actual job is to accept a Prime Minister’s request to call an election.

As far as I am aware the head of state of Canada is King Charles III, The Governer Gemeral is his representative in Canada.

Yes, but my point that “head of state” is a meaningless anachronism in this country still stands.
The Queen was an old, distant relative who visited once in a while and had her picture on the money.
I haven’t met one Canadian that shows any interest in the Coronation or displays any excitement about King Jugears.
Actually, Victoria is the only royal that gets much reverence in Canada. Under her rule Canada recieved most of its independence (we were white and could be “trusted” with self rule), and her birthday (the old “Empire Day” holiday) is still celebrated

1 Like

How do the French speaking parts of the country view their colonial overlords?