The Monarchy (now mostly about money)

As I said, I accept that it’s tricky, but arresting people at a protest is not the same as arresting people going equipped to commit theft or burglary or other serious crime.

Prevention is better, of course, but arresting people on the basis that they might do something (I don’t really consider disrupting stuff, as long as no-one gets injured, in any way comparable to crimes like theft or burglary) seems heavy handed.

I despise authoritarianism. Just because the shitty govt of the day passed a law doesn’t mean it’s morally right. Yes I know it’s the police’s job to enforce the law as is, however shitty, but often there are grey areas and the police often seem keen to overreach (Ornpossibly are told to by their political masters).

Anyway, this is probably a wider discussion really, not specific to the coronation.

4 Likes

I’d accept ‘not exactly comparable’, but for ‘not remotely comparable’ I’d want the comparison to be with, say, a dog licensing offence, or drunk in charge of a bicycle.

Having something about you which, realistically, can only be associated with committing a crime, is central to knife-carrying control too.

I won’t argue.

If you consider that YOU are responsible for the safety of EVERYONE today, it’s a thankless task.
Caution will take precedence to discretion today.
The headlines have to be about success, not disruption.

If this goes off without significant incident it’s a bloody triumph of professionalism.

1 Like

Like Soviet military parades, for example.

4 Likes

Well, not all crimes are the same - they have vastly different effects in the victims, so yes, if you go out carrying a knife/gun/wherever where the only possible interpretation is that you’re up to something very bad where people are likely to be injured or subject to some other serious harm is completely different to going with some padlocks so you can disrupt a pointless circus.

Good enough comparison?

What about a failure of arrests post crime.

Starting with Bullingdon thingies, Post office, Windrush and Grenfell thingies.
Or Met thingies, some cunt even became dame for that.
I didn’t even start to think of politicians.
Move on, nothing to see here.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, shoehorn coronation marketing of the day: first nomination goes to Envirofone.

I don’t really disagree with any of that. I just get concerned where ‘caution’ bleeds over into heavy handedness. The police’s reputation doesn’t need any more kicking really.

This isn’t a criticism of individuals, I’m sure they do their very best with the best intentions, but collectively as an organisation the met leave a lot to be desired.

6 Likes

This is weird, creepy and wrong.

1 Like

Now in Germany the civil alarms go off.
Wonder if it is out of respect of someone entering a cathedral.

All of us are never going to agree on where the line is drawn. That’s a good thing to some extent, and shows that we are a society free to question.
Ultimately it’s a person with a policy book that is calling the shots, and they are not immune to accountability.

That last bit is the important part.
I’m now going to enjoy the spectacle and rest my fingers.

Enjoy your forelock tugging. :+1:

5 Likes

You mean Liz Truss in general, right?

1 Like

It must be, I only missed a reference to pork markets to be complete.

Well, yes by default. But I was refering to the coronation ceremony.

2 Likes

Perfidious metropolitan

1 Like

13 Likes

Just turned the telly on. Fuck me there’s some bling on show

“I’m not going to get into a conversation about that. They’re under arrest. End of.”

FFS. Pathetic.