The Monarchy (now mostly about money)

Photo please

You can trace an arc of this from Dianaā€™s funeral to the present (I am sure there may be an earlier example but thatā€™s the one that stands out for me). Itā€™s as if no major event- particularly one centred around loss- can be allowed to pass off without a subset of the population feeling they have to crowbar their way into it. Itā€™s almost like a rebalancing against the historical ideal of stoicism and the ā€˜stiff upper lipā€™ that went all the way out the other end and is no less damaging to the psyche while being infinitely more ghastly to watch.

All the respect, all of it. Not virtue signalling at all, oh no.

1 Like

3 Likes

Thanks. That exceeds all my expectations.

Impressive but compared to Robā€™s, a model of restraint.

20220919_183525

Marmalade butty.

2 Likes

Is that a corgi?

Itā€™s Borick, isnā€™t it?:thinking:

It appears to depict Susan Boyle in a tiara.:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I love this sort of utter nonsense.

I know the unrelenting deadqueeniness of the last week has been wearing at times, but letā€™s not over-interpret this shit.

Weā€™re a dysfunctional nation and tend to flail about trying to express ourselves - lacking the emotional fluency of more advanced cultures (Spain, Nigeria, meerkats, ants, &c &cā€¦)

This is how we do it. Pretty sure Shakespeare had some scathing epithets directed at hawkers cashing-in on the death of the First Elizabeth. Brits just love to Mawk.

Cockpunch to the first person that says ā€œweā€™re better than thisā€, weā€™re not, and we never have been.

5 Likes

I did enjoy the poignancy of the lone piper retreating.

That was quite moving.

There is an unintended pun there.

1 Like

Yes, pipes getting further away is always a massive relief.

6 Likes

Didnā€™t get a chance for photos, long old day, out at 0430 and not back home till 1830. But this was my spot to stand at. I genuinely thought it would be quiet till around an hour before she was due. Then it got very busy, deep crowds queuing up and lots of walking up and down to keep people out of the way of the vehicles. Very quiet when she came by, gone in a flash.

23 Likes
5 Likes
11 Likes

canā€™t stand her but Iā€™m so glad Boris couldnā€™t get up and do his whole poundshop Churchill spiel

12 Likes
7 Likes

Precisely what Hel said yesterday. Possibly the only positive weā€™ll see from Truss as PM (apart from her ongoing spiral downwards into failure and ignominy).