The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

No - Ortofon.

Was listening to this Brinkmann Balance with FR66 today with various Koetsu FR cartridges & my Io Ltd.

Valve PSU for Brinkmann.

Allnic phono & monos

Soulution linestage.

The owner had Avalon speakers which were ok if not quite my thing. The Brinkmann & FR combo was impressive.

1 Like

Looks adequate, esp. with the Ltd

Nobody would ever accuse me of being technically literate, but I can’t, for the life of me, figure out the benefits of valves in PSU’s.

Would anybody care to briefly, in layman’s terms, enlighten me ?

It’s a stupid expensive upgrade, separates the gullable from his money.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m not sure how they’re used or what they’re supposed to do that couldn’t be done well enough without them.

Ah, got ya. Thanks Bob :+1:

Nice TT, not sure if I was spending that amount of money I would have a FR arm and Soulution pre and the Allnic power TBH.

The owner’s quite pleased with the pre as he believes it makes the power amps sound powerful enough to drive the speakers where he feels they couldn’t do it with his previous pre. It certainly went plenty loud enough with a couple of subs doing the very low stuff. He did previously have a LaGrange with the Brinkmann 10.5 arm but feels the FR has been a big step up.

Did you use SUt’s or just straight into the phono?

I used my ANS6 with the Ltd but was showing him how to configure the very versatile SUT in the Allnic to get the best from his various other cartridges. He had a fine collection of 4 or 5 FR7 variants, a couple of different SPUs, a Koetsu Urushi & a more recent Jade with diamond cantilever. Also one of those newly made Deccas.

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

Sounds like a really nice experience :+1:

Yes, there was an FR7c an FR7z, an odd, one off called FR7 PW bought from someone in JP who may have worked at FR and a stock FR7. There may have been another one too that I didn’t hear. The genuine late 50s SPU was also lovely.

1 Like

I love my FR7. I’ll be interested to hear how the FR702 sounds in comparison when I finally get the stereo going again.

Aiwa ap - d60 direct drive t/t. Audiomarkt €189.

Technics sl-2000 t/t. €149.

Grundig ps-2500 t/t. €99

back.in the day I used to have one of those Aiwa TTs
along with the matching amp and tuner, all used with a pair of Heybrook HB1s (which I’ve still got)

Auditorium23 La Nouvelle Platine Verdier Von A23 t/t

6 Likes

I cannot support this badgerless enterprise.

1 Like

Technics shoot badgers :badger: on sight.

1 Like