The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

mk 2 but i did buy a mk1 platter too, must get it running

Alternative approach: Terminator and Cadenza Blue.

6 Likes

What do you think of the Terminator? I nearly bought one a couple of years ago.

As long as you can route an air line so the pump is miles away, brilliant. Until you have heard a well set up linear tracker playing classical in particular you really don’t know what is possible.

2 Likes

I’ve heard plenty of linear trackers, just not that one, hence the question.

If money was no object I would buy one of these

Does it pick up Sky too?

1 Like

No, but it’s by far the best linear tracker I’ve heard

1 Like

Ah, right. I haven’t had a chance to really compare it to Rockport style royalty, but it just seems to do everything right (including bass impact despite some reviews). I got one to replace a counterweight modded RB250 and it was a very big step up.

Lol, I wasn’t expecting it to rival the Airtangent, but you need 5 figures minimum to even smell one of those.

Has he stopped producing them? I seem to remember a thread somewhere (maybe PFM) that said he had?

Here

Thanks, but I was referring to the Terminator :grin:

Sorry, missed that.
TransFi still seem to be making a linear tracker, but not the Terminator.

1 Like

Still making them, just not the deck.

1 Like

Ok, thanks Gregg :+1:

A few thoughts,

The 124’s are probably the most user friendly (Clutch / strobe) The integral arm board to the chassis is perhaps a little misguided in terms of vibration transfer- the E50 motors lack a little ooommf - The MKII non mag platters were useful for some carts however the heavier iron platters can sound better. The bearing arrangement does not have any damping (ball bearing thrust) Proper set up can be a little finicky (belts, thin idler wheel, isolation mushrooms, thin pressed aluminum top platter.) The sound of a well sorted example is good. The best I’ve heard is without the top platter (Tenuto on duty) with the arm set to the plinth (not mounted to the arm-board frame.

The 301 was designed prior to the take off of STEREO (Designed 1953, released 1954) The grease bearing has a sloppy tolerance to allow for the grease, the motor is a lump which produces plenty of torque. The BBC changed over from grease to the later 301 oil bearings and some changes were made to the motor in an attempt by Garrard to ‘keep up’ with he demands of STEREO. In summary early 301’s are good as a MONO set up later 301 oil bearings better with STEREO.

The 401 (whilst not to everyone’s tastes visually) was the Garrard engineers idea of improvement - Switching set under the chassis, user friendly strobe, ribbed stiffer chassis, Cast iron screened motor with better bearings (Runs quieter with less torque) Many other aspects of the 401 are beefed up versions of the 301, the spindle bearing’s thrust pad is a damped dome of sintered bronze - again an improvement designed by Garrard for STEREO transcription / listening. The 401 falls down due to losses, cosmetic cutbacks initially from market forces then by the slash and cash in directives from the ‘then’ new owners of Garrard (Plessey) Personally I prefer the early 401’s (Twin spark suppressor types)

The Audio Creative Groovemaster MKII is a nice performer £ for £ in comparison with many of the 12" offerings out there today. It’s effective mass is 22g well suited to SPU / IO / Koetsu fans

6 Likes

Nice!

Did you click on the wrong link?

1 Like

Was thinking the mother n law

Why? Does she like orchids?