The wonders of mobile telecommunication

1 Like

Old Samsungs are shit. As are all of the mini versions.

Yer maw!

2 Likes

Moto G series are great.

The main mic on my second gen G LTE stopped working after 2 'n a half years of hassle free use. (hands free mic wuz still working)

Vodafone currently have the G4 Play @ only Ā£79 as a locked/Paygo handset deal.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/motorola-moto-g4-payg/sku91733

You do have to buy a Ā£10 Vodafone Paygo SIM to qualify on their site. But this does still give you a rather decent spec handset for only Ā£89, you may be able to flip the SIM fer a fiver. Cheapest price otherwise for this handset unlocked tends to be Ā£135/Ā£140ā€™ish mostly.

I used this unlocking service on eBay for the second time. >>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221362225244?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Only Ā£1-79 to furnish me with tā€™ unlock code & they messaged me this inside 25mins of making the payment. (Make sure to request they message/email this to you, rather than their 1st class post method)

Really nice in use. Quite svelte having a 5" screen, yet still usefully larger than my old Gā€™s 4.5". 16GB built in storage + micro SD slot fer expansion. Totally smooth & none laggy in use, big improvement over my old un. Other highlights, are a fairly high capacity battery, nearly half again the capacity of my older G. Corning Gorilla glass screen, which is always summat I try 'n spec for smartphones/tablets, soo no screen protector needed. The battery is also user replaceable which wasnā€™t the case for my second gen G LTE.

It is also shed loads better for tethering/creating a WiFi hotspot than the older model. The WiFi zone is considerably larger/more robust than my old G. Making for placing the handset easier & less temperamental.

If you need to order two handsets at once, you may be able to save a tenner by only stumping fer one prepay SIM? Worth trying in any case.

Iā€™m also on 3, currently getting unlimited/all you can eat texts, calls, internet + Data allowance with a 30 Gig tethering allowance on top for only Ā£19 per month.

All the current G4 gen of handsets, take a micro SIM. The latest G5 models take a nano SIM. Bear this in mind if you are already running a nano SIM, as you may need to order a replacement SIM, depending on which handset you end up with.

1 Like

Buying the Vodafone one and unlocking is a good idea. Couple this with a SIM card from iD, which gives iirc 2 gig for six quid a month with no tie in, and youā€™re golden.

1 Like

Yup, there is no Vodafone branding on these either. So what you end up with is same same as a factory supplied unlocked model.

I also did this last time too, fer tā€™ G LTE on the Tesco network, think I saved around Ā£30 last time vs a ready unlocked model.

As long as itā€™s easy to unlock. I bought a shitty Vodafone a couple of years ago and it was quite a challenge to unlock

Ah, I presume that may have been one of their own brand models?

The G4 play has at least passed this as a test case by me. :slight_smile:

Fairly easy to run a search for which models have easy unlock codes available, some can take longer too. A quite tasty Huawei I was also looking at said up to 8-10 days to get the code.

This is the varifocal thread all over again. :slight_smile:

This is the best suggestion yet, but being an utter cheap skate when it come to, well, anything really, can I use Lidl baked bean cans instead and less foo string please?

Yes, but you may encounter problems with wind noise and effective range.

1 Like

There could be some risk of strangulation there, an assessment is called for.

1 Like

Are you seriously suggesting we discuss cables???

:scream:

Nah, Iā€™m just stringing you along :wink:

2 Likes

:nauseated_face:

1 Like

Shit, youā€™re right.
The shame of it . I shall be stripped of my clipboardā€¦ :cold_sweat:

1 Like