The worst places to live in England

More accuracy deployed…

Yep. The same trip I met up with you in Oxford.

1 Like

'Twas my thinking too :+1:

1 Like

Two lists now, 3 off you include the ugliest town, Hemel.

Think a lot of these victorian sea side towns have had nothing invested into them. Brightons saving grace is being 50 mins from london

1 Like

… and perhaps because everyone they sent there to make any kind of assessment simply never came back.

VB

It could be worse. Some people have to work in the centre of London.

4 Likes

My whole town suffers from being the cheapest place to live in a very expensive part of the country. So it’s still expensive enough that people on low incomes struggle, and it’s blighted by having practically all of the new-build housing in not one but two district council areas dumped on it. People grumble about Didcot because of what it hasn’t got - decent pubs and restaurants in particular, much culture (but what there is is under-supported), deep community roots (but these are struggling to sustain Abingdon and Wallingford and Wantage).

There is, however, local money, and there are jobs. Healthcare is good. State schools are not so bad. The transport in and out is top class (mainline railway electrified to london, A34/M4 close and M40 not so far away, trains and buses to Oxford). There’s countryside nearby too. I’ve seen much worse places.

VB

1 Like

I think Brighton has a lot more going for it than just its proximity to London.

I hate you :angry:

2 Likes

Here your defense breaks down.
The M4 is mostly “closed” these days and there is invariably a pile up on the A34.

That can be true.

But it’s not the Westway.

VB

1 Like

It does as margate is testament
I find it a bit to right on, and prefer the grittyness of Bristol

Still a very cool place

FoL#1 likes Bristol but is starting to hanker for the grittiness of Plymouth. Thinks Bristol may be getting too up itself. I like it when I go there.

1 Like

If I was in my 20s, I’d of liked to live there

Remember when I first took the kids to Camden Market and they were asking if it was similar to the one in Tavi

It has certainly changed since I lived there ('70 to '77).

Certainly more attractive now that most of the old power station has been demolished. :+1:

You mean the Harvester by the VW garage isn’t the very acme of fine dining?

1 Like

He’d probably like it a lot more if the place hadn’t been locked down for most of the past year. He hasn’t had a proper summer there yet.

1 Like