The worst places to live in England

Really?

A list of absolute shit holes.

Indeed, where are Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft and Clacton?
I spent 2 hours in Torquay 4 of 5 years ago and was shocked how rough it was. Encountered someone jacking up on the stairs of the car park within 30 seconds of leaving the car (and had the kids with me), needle bins in the public toilets…
It certainly blew away my ‘Fawlty Towers’ preconceptions.

In my experience of living oop north apart from it being fucking grim is that there is no escape from the grimness !

In my city which has plenty of rough areas , you can escape it in minutes and be in the countryside or the coast. Same goes for Torquay.

Something that makes a huge difference.
Probably even more important during the last year.

Remember watching secret millionaire years ago where they where helping in Devonport
They took some kids to a beach for there first time
I was shocked

1 Like

Newton Abbott made it - rightly so what the place lacks in culture it makes up for in bleakness. Plymouth failed to make the cut simply as a City without the perks. - Good to see Torquay get a look in Paignton should have it’s own category tho, tragic.

Southend and Clacton. Shudder…

Portsmouth. Eugh

1 Like

It wont stop the hordes invading when lockdown is lifted though :grin:

1 Like

Always thought Plymouth has the potential to be one of the best cities in the country
Dartmoor, Cornwall and the sea on its doorstep
Needs someone with big plans and big money

1 Like

The main problem with Plymouth were the big bombs… followed by two bob concrete rebuild, followed by the traditional industries of fishing / ship building / armed forces all being in decline. Followed by: lack of ethnic diversity / arts / culture / music / inclusiveness.
It’s position is what makes it’s potential great, it is also it’s position that makes it unviable (Accessibility / transport links: airport closed, duel carriageway only, narrow minded council, 50 miles from a motorway etc) Plymouth, unlike Exeter for example has also always been blue collar - Such areas away form large economic centers tend to get neglected.
It is a City with a lot going for it but several significant issues going against it.

4 Likes

When I win the lottery I will buy drakes island
It will consist of coffee shops, individual shops and boutiques, record shops, cutting lathes a while u wait tailor shop, a Japanese hairdresser with horns, a sealed off napping area, a funfair for the kids, water skiing and a brothel for the dads

4 Likes

1 Like

We used to go to Bracknell as a break from Reading. Reading was awful in the 1990s, Lord knows what it is like now. Last time I was there it appeared that the entirety of the town centre was either in the Oracle, a Weatherspoons, or a Chazzer. Fucking tip of a place.

Runcorn is notably immune to lists such as this, largely due to it’s sub-tropical climate, educated citizens and fabulous architecture.

And its fine air quality.

1 Like

The purple turtle alone put it as one of the best places in the UK.

1 Like

Another list

3 or 4 years ago ?

1 Like

I drove all the way along the seafront there last summer, on a sunny day, and for a minute or so I almost felt like I was in Italy! Palm trees, the sea, lots of people hanging out on terraces with coffees… looked really inviting. Suddenly felt like I’d been missing out on something quite special on my doorstep. I had an errand to run, then parked up and walked around a bit. It’s a funny blend of extremely chavvy and run-down, and also quite grand and interesting. It gets a bad rap down here, but a lot of people love living there as well. Some fabulous pads there, and quite stunning sea views, depending where you are. I reckon it has a pretty gritty underbelly, but I reckon it can be an ok place to live if you aren’t at the bottom of the social strata.

You can see from its faded glory that once upon a time a lot of fun was had there.

Someone’s made a list.

Great.

All the science here. Not.

Coffee a speciality. :+1:

6 Likes