Thomas Mayer 211 wanted

nice :+1:

I was very tempted to by the parts for these a number of years ago, but it never quite came about because of reasons.

211 monoblocks remains the build itch I am yet to scratch

1 Like

I did ask TM why he doesn’t use any kind of Zobel networks after his IT’s & he just doesn’t. He can’t be looking too closely at the square wave response of the amplifiers or he prefers the excitement of a bit of ringing.

have you measured any by chance?

Not with his amps but I used Tango NC-14 and NC-16’s & did find that they could be corrected with a zobel albeit with some slight loss of hf bandwidth. A square wave through the stage is quite instructive.

As far as I know he doesn’t use Tango ITs for long time, unless per customer’s order. In my TM 300B I do have Tango OTs but ITs are Lundahl. I think this is his regular configuration since very early models (mine is from 2009, low serial #).

What current this IT needs to handle? He fries his power tubes a bit, maybe the Tangos are not sufficient?

Depends on the driver. I think he’s used 10Y at 20 mA into NC-20 on some of his older designs.

I have some NC-20 but haven’t tried them yet. Be interesting to see what, if any, tidying they need.

New pre in place after a big drive this weekend to fetch em

Very pleased with the sound they make😀

12 Likes

6 Likes

Pull the switch igor😀

11 Likes

What are the speakers you are using there, they look impressively massive!

Jbl k2s . Everest would be a bit too big but these fellas fit in just nice

9 Likes

That is a Righteous system :+1:

1 Like

certainly is

Getting there now I think, the Mayer phono is quite different to the cj act 2 but it’s a keeper I think so just need to sort the sut and cart and maybe one of those nice metal mats for the dp80 to finish my vinyl front end

Sounding good today but after yesterday’s 12 hour drive home from Frankfurt sitting here is a nice change, watching the snow rather than driving through it

3 Likes

more than a year on and the CJ pre has long gone so the TM pre is defo a keeper

got an annoying hum which just wont go on vinyl but CD is great (SUT sensitivity I guess)

still looking for a 211 TM power amp to try against the CJ350 if anyone spots one - bit of a fanboi re the thomas mayer gear

Darren, are you using the built-in SUT or an external one?

As for the 211 monoblocks, ask him for the kit price and build it :grin::+1: can’t take you any longer than Rabski

its the tribute diy one that I think I had on it when you last visited Simon - I have found a position that reduces the hum but need to get systematic I guess and maybe:

try an MM cart with no SUT will eliminate the phono stage as a suspect - think I have an old shure M3d here somewhere with a new needle so that’s worth a go

could get the SUT rebuilt with better shielding but I did try a couple of HM3 suts and they suffered too so suspect the fault is elsewhere

building my own 211 is up there with riding motorbikes - bound to end in certain death so best left to others - suspect the parts bill now would be too much for me anyway hence looking second hand.

pretty happy with the CJ but scratching the itch of trying a 211 now i pretty much have my ideal system feels like the right thing to do

how big is that itch? :rofl::rofl:

http://www.highend-broker.com/highend2/product1.php?product=2903

need to eliminate TT variables somehow, TT or tonearm earth? SUT earth? sut shielding? cables?

pain in the backside, I can see why streaming garbage quality zeros and ones of t’interweb is so popular

I would need to wait for Brexit to buy that (add tax and duties if in EU)

An Alexa would defo be less bother!

Assuming you’re still in Leek, I would be happy to drop in one evening with a SUT/phono to see if you can eliminate what the problem is?