Tortilla Patatas

i remember a place in Madrid - which was served moist with a good dollop of beautifully caramelised onions…

1 Like

it is here: https://www.instagram.com/juanalaloca_pintxos/

2 Likes

Potato and onion frying (I used groundnut oil) in a wok.

Into the bowl to rest (I used a smaller frying pan - 9")

Done.

A little overdone actually, I would have preferred it softer/slightly runny in the middle.

Anyway, it wasn’t bad for a first attempt, very tasty. I will reduce cooking times accordingly for the next effort. I can imagine it would be very nice with some bacon in it.

11 Likes

This is almost a universal truth.

4 Likes

Perhaps a smaller diameter n deeper pan if you have one Paul…

1 Like

Looks very good but so easy to overdo it as here with Marco PW.

1 Like

how many eggs?

His looks to be more well done than mine!

I’ll take that :grinning:

1 Like

Not made one for a while but from memory got into the habit of using fridge cold eggs which somewhat delays the centre setting whilst allowing a little extra time to develope a nice golden crust and a still ‘soft yolk’ type centre…

3 Likes

Room temp eggs here ours are moist, 2 mins maybe 3 each side - you do need to be brave about turning.

We use 8 eggs in 24cm saute pan. 1 large onion, and potato by eye, cut thinly (3mm) into irregular small 2cm x 2cm slices - shame the BBC clip isn’t available any more as it shows the exact process. We always use less potato than we think is necessary - perhaps about 1.5 large ones for the 8 eggs. Final omelette ends up about 4cm deep.

We don’t colour the potatoes beyond pale golden and don’t colour the onions at all.

For 6 eggs we’d move to the 20cm pan and one large potato.

Pre roasted garlic works nicely with the onion and spud stage

Tell you what, this stuff is even better cold!

Had the 3/4 piece for dinner, with my own coleslaw. Very nice indeed.

Just had the small piece for a supper snack. Wow! Spectacularly good.

Crack snacks FTW :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Is it heresy to say that it seems to be crying out for thin strips of bacon at the onion frying stage stage?

1 Like

Chorizo, by the barrow full.

you can put whatever you like in it. Personally we prefer the authenticity and delicate flavour of earthy potato and sweet onion.

2 Likes

think we might make one tonight.

Have some chorizo to use up, won’t be wasted in the omelette though. Perhaps a chorizo and chickpea stew thing…

I used to make homemade chips in a wok ! Makes sense to fry the potatoes and onion in there first then transfer over to frying pan for the second stage …
A nice post this !!

I made a kind of version last night in a wok with potato, onion, haloumi and chopped spinach. I put a little water into the egg mix to get a little bit of fluffing.

Wot no Marmite?

2 Likes