Tumble Dryers

In my previous married life, there was a Beko condenser under the stairs. It worked pretty well- just remember to regularly clean the filters.

However; In my current existence, I don’t have a tumble dryer and honestly- even at this time of year and with the boy’s clothes too, I’ve never needed one. Wash to a loose schedule and use a drying rack in a bedroom. If you really want to boost the process, a heated drying rack will speed the process up but it’s pretty unusual for me not to have dry clothes 24 hours after I washed them. As the weather improves, clothesline FTW.

2 Likes

If you are putting it outside, get vented and cheap as you like - my mum had an old one in her car port for years and no harm came to it from being exposed to the elements on 1 and a half sides (protected from rain though) for over a decade. Cant remember the make but it wasn’t anything posh.

If inside and / or condensing then I’d personally spend a bit more for things like intelligent drying timer, quietness, bigger condenser runoff catcher, etc. We have in indoor bosch - cost (iirc) about £400, as we use the kitchen as a 3rd living room it was important that we could have a conversation / hear our facebook videos when it was running.

Added: I know many people hate them but I am a big fan of washer dryers. we had a fantastic LG one before we moved and it made washing so simple. The one I had when I was single lasted me years and as a single dad was one less thing to bugger about with - put dirty clothes and liquid in - press button and a few hours later stuff you can wear comes out.

A condensing one in the kitchen makes sense. They are much more efficient than vented ones, and being in the kitchen means you have a sink to pour out the water. Ours is a Bosch and has been reliable.

With a dryer you need to empty the water and clean the fluff out every load, more or less. It’s more faff than you might think.

In some ways I agree with @Tons_of_fun - for one person, using a hanger might make more sense. For a family of four a dryer is essential, ours is on every day - even in summer the washing line isn’t enough. You could use a dehumidifier occasionally when needed.

Miele Outlet FTW. Just get someone else to install it as they are effing heavy!

2 Likes

£750 to £2500, the Stella Artois of dryers

1 Like

Tumble dryers come into their own when drying bedding and towels in the winter, our clothes are always on an airer in a spare room.
Summer its all out side on a line and we accept crispy towels.
We have a big capacity washer dryer, a Samsung one it was very expensive, its been very good for 5yrs and counting. For the amount of use the dryer gets (bedding and towels only) it didn’t make sense to have 2 separate machines for us.

1 Like

This. I have never used a dryer.

2 Likes

NEVER !

1 Like

They are a lifesaver on Sunday nights when the kids go ‘where’s my PE kit?’* And it’s still in a crumpled ball in the bottom of a bag …

*more accurately, when we say ‘do you have PE tomorrow?’

You don’t have kids. The two are connected.

That is a fantastic offer and much appreciated.
Unfortunately I am shielding until 21st Feb and live in East Sussex on the coast.
Not sure if I would get a tumble dryer in the car either :grinning:

I have this. It works.

Probably still wear them wet and expect the sun to do the work

Bosch condenser

No probs, keep safe

should do if the seats fold down.

I got one in the back of the mini :rofl:

Minis are huge!

we got my old massive LG washer / dryer in the back of a fiesta.

We have a tumble dryer, very lightly used. It is built into our washing machine. It works perfectly well, but in the end we have no use for the drying function.

Those heated drying racks are brilliant though, if you’ve got the space. And they provide a perfect climbing frame for cats.

Use anyvan or similar web courier bid type service Kev, they are working and might not be as much as you think to collect the kind freebie offer

Just picked up a very large shower enclosure from Southampton on gumtree for £70 to staffs, COVID safe as they dropped it in the garage and I left it there for a week