Turntable Wall mounting?

Started painting the new listening room. So thoughts are turning to how to organise the room. I’m wondering about wall mounts for at least one turntable that is relatively heavy. The wall is a stud wall so I’m a bit worried about how to attach it and how much weight it might be ok with. Do any of you have experience of wall mounting a turntable shelf on plasterboard wall?
I’m thinking of maybe a pair of target turntable shelves.

You’ll need to attach the shelf to to studs/noggings or fix a piece of ply across them and fix to that.

3 Likes

You could try and find the noggins at 1.2m High, or should be,and find a stud so you have 3 fixings, or ply as Johnny says, or these, no idea how good they are:

1 Like

I used these to secure a target shelf to plasterboard wall and it held up an origin live TT

I did try the screwin ones but found most of them just pulled themselves out of the board when tightened.

2 Likes

Brave man.

4 Likes

If its an old house, the studs should be closer together than the current 60cm, I think around 40cm,so you could drill 2 new holes in the metal shelf

1 Like

Kinda forgot about them after 3 years.

1 Like

This type of spring toggle ones can take a fair load.

1 Like

Security is one thing. But vibration of the plasterboard is what always worried me.

Too much faf?

1 Like

I wouldn’t myself.

1 Like

G fix is the only option

1 Like

When I converted our house I used 8x2 t&g flooring on all the walls before the plasterboard so that I knew I could fasten anything anywhere without hassle.

1 Like

Is that like Gripfil? :thinking:

Google it my friend, could probably hold you in the old days

2 Likes

I’d definitely add ply and you know it’ll be secure.

2 Likes

If is good enough for Christains!

4 Likes

I’d go for a stud wall pattress as suggested above. Normally a piece of plywood fixed to the studs behind the plasterboard. Common now in flats and student housing for fixing TVs etc to stud partitions, as there are lots of examples of tv’s pulling anchor fixings through pboard due to weight. Advice above to fix a ply board on top of the pboard through the studs would seem easiest and most sensible.

MDF is easier to decorate if you’re going for a painted wall finish.

Could be a useful opportunity to hide cables too.

2 Likes

I love how an actual builder providing the right answer in the first reply doesn’t prevent everyone else shoving their oar in. Reminds me of the hinge thread :rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

Ha

1 Like