Twitchers Revisited

Just a Long-tailed tit in the park today, no glossy ibises

Imgur

5 Likes

That’s fecking funny, that is

This is sweeping through East Anglia, I’ve seen lots of dead and dying pigeons. :slightly_frowning_face:

Tough 3 hours in the field today produced little of note. This Ruff being one of the very few migrants on show.

Imgur

5 Likes

Lovely bit of ruff

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Driving back from the weekly walk and just below Lopwell there was a gathering of twitchers in full camo with some seriously big cameras. I stopped & walked back to ask what they were looking at/for. Apparently there were 4 Ospreys there yesterday feeding (before setting off for Africa?) One guy showed me some spectacular pics he’d taken yesterday, one in particular of a bird with one foot in the water round a fish & with wings spread… I asked if they’d be put up on any of the twitching websites & he said probably.

I didn’t know they ever called by down here.

Lopwell area, the Tavy and the Tamar are well known sites for Osprey sightings on passage.

Plenty of pics on the Facebook page - Lopwell Dam Lovers Photography

This pic from yesterday was probably one of your guys

10 Likes

Nice mullet!

1 Like

A couple of the c500 Redwings present in Feal Burn Plantation this afternoon.

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

A Glossy Ibis flyover was the only scarce bird of note

Imgur

8 Likes

Presumably that means they are on their way down our way then. We normally have a pair that strip the berries of our neighbours’ tree that overhangs into our garden.

There have been a few reported in NE England. Small numbers up to now but many more will migrate South in the coming weeks.

A neighbouring Island (Whalsay) had a flock of >10,000 a couple of days ago.

Assuming the details are correct (big assumption with any of our media outlets) then this would seem to have been quite a rare event.

Once upon a time you’d have been down there in October.

1 Like

Yes, fourth British record. Proving very popular with the twitchers.

Our last visit to Scilly was 2015 after going for 17 out of the previous 18 years, in October.

1 Like

At the Barnes Wetland centre today - 17c and warm but water worryingly low and wader lagoon completely dry, neverthless Chiff Chaffs seemed to be everywhere and Cettis Warbler heard several times but not seen, oh and a Kingfisher. Kestrel nice to see too - on top of the hide above where everyone was looking out, slightly comedy.

Imgur

Imgur

9 Likes

On September 28, one small bird completed a very long flight. An adult, male Bar-tailed Godwit, known by its tag number 4BBRW, touched down in New South Wales, Australia, after more than 8,100 miles in transit from Alaska —flapping its wings for 239 hours without rest, and [setting the world record for the longest continual flight by any land bird by distance.

Completely mind blowing! Waders are just incredible birds.

8 Likes

Grey Heron coming in off the sea at Aith today

Imgur

and a well camouflaged Common Snipe, preening in the dunes

Imgur

10 Likes

Amazing truly

Egyptian goose (prepares to get shot down!) on the Crystal Palace Dinos.

Photo David Rouse.

4 Likes