Twitchers Revisited

First time at RSPB Rainham Marshes today, fantastic reserve, not that much showing but I’ll be back for sure. Loads of Sparrows

Imgur

5 Likes
1 Like

Walking round RSPB Fairburn Ings. Lovely view of a male Marsh Harrier sat in a tree.

Then hunting over the waterlogged grassland.

Then perched in another tree ignoring the local crows.

Watched him for 40 minutes. Brilliant experience.

2 Likes

I’ll be out at Potteric Carr tomorrw.

1 Like

I was, but the sun was not

This is actually a very good idea

2 Likes

I will be doing this :muscle::clap:

1 Like

Give it a go by all means but I’ve got two of the teapot birdbox things on the back wall in the garden, missus bought them from Waitrose. Only thing that’s been in it is a colony of a thousand woodlouse. Had far more success with a £6 birdbox from middle of Lidl that sits about 15 feet away. Maybe if there’s not much else around offering a better nesting spot they will go for it.

Quite amazing longevity

8 Likes

Flock of 6 redwing feasting off the holly berries in the front garden.

Crap photo taken from through the kitchen window again.

5 Likes

Nice one Mick we’ve had about 40 in tree in our garden every day - the way they arrive out of nowhere reminds me of

Long-eared Owl

Imgur

12 Likes

The bird was found in some distress (to the extent that it allowed them to pick it up) in a local garden and they put it in a small lean-to greenhouse to recover. I suspect it was just starving after the cold snap we’ve had.

They kept it for three days and fed it on raw chicken, it seems in good health now and they’re going to release it tonight. Hopefully it will survive now that the weather has turned very mild.

Imgur

16 Likes

It doesn’t stand up to very close scrutiny but without the messy background I think it looks decent.

Imgur

2 Likes

Still waiting for the usual pair that come and strip the tree at the back of our garden, but then I get the feeling that there is a lot of other food sources that they go through first.

1 Like

I think Owls are my favourite bird. They are just beautiful things.

2 Likes

Are you a wizard?

Harry Potterton

:grimacing:

9 Likes

+1… the park near me has a pair of Eurasian Eagle Owls and they’re beautiful. Also the sightseeing/sensing abilities the bird has are astonishing.

Apparently they’re pretty thick though.