Twitchers Revisited

Big fall of migrants here today.

Garden birds included, Bluethroat, 4+ Lesser Whitethroats, Reed Bunting, Common Redstart, 5+ Chiffchaffs, 4+ Willow Warblers.

Elsewhere, I had 4 Pied Flycatchers, 2 Spotted Flycatchers, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, at least 10 Lesser Whitethroats, Common Whitethroat, 2 Red-necked Phalaropes, 8 Red-throated Divers, Tree Pipit, Reed Bunting, Mealy Redpoll, Whooper Swan, Whimbrel. 2 Common Cranes and 2 Common Rosefinches. Any amount of Chiffys and Willow Warblers.

Now, the latest in my series of #worstrecordshotsever is the back garden Bluethroat

In a pretty desperate attempt to regain some tiny morsel of photographic credibility, this is one of the Common Cranes I saw today

7 Likes

How on earth do you remember what all of these hundreds of different birds look like ?

The only way is to get out in the field and see/hear them. Field guides are good, but they’re no substitute to seeing and hearing them in the flesh.

I’m only reasonably competent in that respect. Some of my close friends are true experts, their identification skills are beyond amazing.

Completely agree; I was a novice starting maybe four or five years ago with a bit of bird photography. The experience of being out there looking and listening, massively improves your ID ‘hit rate’ compared with reading a bird book. After a while I definitely get a ‘sixth sense’ when there is a interesting bird around even if I can’t immediately identify what it is, something to do with becoming attuned to movement and colour etc. Who knows.

Also known as jizz*

*yes, I know…

I know some other, less savoury stuff, known as ‘jizz’.

I thought you twitchers would have been above that.

1 Like

Yes, I know…

but I guess you know that :slight_smile:

Yes, I do

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

At this time of year it’s sometimes possible to hear a cuckoo if you can get to somewhere quiet enough. We went up to a favourite spot on Pew Tor this evening.

A slight wind but a very chatty & loud at times cuckoo.

3 Likes

Loads of Skylarks up there but I’ve never knowingly seen a cuckoo despite hearing them quite often. Would it be sitting on rocks or in a bush?

Either, but a bush would be more likely. They look somewhat like a long tailed Falcon in flight.

2 Likes

I heard one last week when out on the bike - I stopped to see if I could spot it but similar territory to your picture so not much hope.

1 Like

Yep. Loads of feathery, flapping things around our way too. Some big, redy coloured ones with silvery heads, some little ones with coppery coloured breasts and lots and lots of some basic brown and grey ones. There’s also some mid-sized black ones and some mid-sized grey ones.

Yep, plenty of birds around here mate :+1:

Thank you, David Attenborough :+1:

Any help you may need, you know where I am :+1:

It’s just getting silly in the garden this week, Waxwing appeared 20 mins ago

6 Likes

He looks a bit pissed off

Probably is. No berries in the garden yet.

Why so many at this particular time & which way are they headed? Further North presumably?

This was an interesting news item yesterday, running rather contrary to expectations tbh. Maybe we’re even compensating for a lack of insects.