Ugh, estate agents

Best of luck :crossed_fingers:

Looks like its off, one of the buyers in the chain has not completed a deed of variation for the Mortgage on one of the properties, no idea how we get to this point withough that being raised. Fucking cunts.

Thats harsh, I feel your pain.
At least its ā€œjustā€ an admin problem and not people developing cold feet and 2nd thoughts.
Have a beer tonight and get back on it Monday.

1 Like

Well itā€™s Folly Fest in Faringdon, big music festival in the town centre so thatā€™s this weekend sorted!

Just annoys me, our solicitors have been slow and poor communication but seems like our buyers buyer have been all the issues, just incompetence!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear thereā€™s procedural grief Rob.

Clearly someone down the chain has dropped the ball :rage:.

Sound all too familiar, we excepted an offer nearly 6 months ago on a house we are selling in North Yorkshire , it has been like pulling teeth getting any recent information out our solicitor.

Three calls in the last three weeks requesting an update and zip, of course there may be little to convey however a call back to that effect would at least have been a courtesy :rage:

2 Likes

This will be my fourth property purchase (hopefully our last) and it never gets any easier. How the whole process can be this shit I donā€™t know. Still, it should still be less stress than spending all the money we would have spent, renovating the current house for a year or so!

2 Likes

Yup, be worth the hassle in the end :+1:

1 Like

I have just set my sister in law on him this morning ā€¦ Poor sod I almost feel sorry for him.

1 Like

My dad was telling me the other day that estate agents in france get 20% of the sale price, are legally responsible for the whole process and have to be licenced and qualified.

Not sure Iā€™d want to give up Ā£50k on an average house price in the UK though.

Blimey, and I thought ~1% fee here was bad enough!

Mind you, this purchase and our last, the estate agents have been brilliant, its all been the solicitors that have not been earning their money!

Is this a live in forever home Rob,or a stepping stone to somewhere else in a decade or so?

Oh for sure, a live forever home!

1 Like

Bugger, really sorry to hear that.

Must be pretty disappointing now but these things have a habit of unknowingly steering you towards something better right around the corner.

2 Likes

Not quiet true. Estate agentsā€™ fees are a standard 10%. Thereā€™s an additional 10% that then goes to the equivalent of the conveyancing lawyer, but most of that is actually tax that goes straight to the government, not the lawyer.

1 Like

Just had a call from solicitor, aparently not quite off, document required being signed somewhere as we speakā€¦ :rofl: Glad I have today off, Viv is working in the study and not being very productive keeping up with it all!

15 Likes

Sorry to hear this, itā€™s incredibly stressful. Iā€™ve just been through something similar which was an enormously draining saga. Sit down, loosen your Arab strap, pour yourself a cold one and commiserateā€¦

We were due to complete on our new house a few weeks ago on Monday 13th June. The Thursday before, we get a call to say our buyer wants to pull out - he was a property developer/investor and it turns out heā€™d been having multiple affairs and his wife was now taking him to the cleaners, suing for future earnings, etc. Heā€™d rather lose his deposit on our house than complete the purchase (he was planning on selling the house on for profit) and give however much of it to his soon-to-be ex.

We faced losing our deposit, which was greater by some way than the deposit weā€™d be keeping from him. In addition, house prices are still rising in our area and combined with the loss of deposit, it would have meant being unable to move house at all, which we somewhat needed to due to having outgrown our previous home.

Cue: panic mode. As you know there are two weeks post completion date to finally complete before the deal falls through. Now all credit to my wife who is an excellent schmoozer, networker and general do-er, who accomplished much of the below while I sat there stress-wanking myself into a gibbering stupor.

First she managed to calm our emotional and mercurial buyer and got him to agree to sell on our house to another buyer if we could find one. I say mercurial because one day he agreed, the next heā€™d call up shouting and refusing to sell. She finally got him to commit to selling.

Now to find a buyer. With such short notice we basically had to have a cash buyer to take the house off our original buyer (letā€™s call him Wanker A). My wife managed to put the word out pretty widely and on Wed 14th (day 3 of our two-week notice period) managed to find a cash buyer, who was willing to pay Ā£20k less than what our buyer had paid, which wasnā€™t too bad considering. Great. Except our buyer refused to sell for less than what he paid (a familiar sound to denizens of hi-fi fora). She spent the remainder of the week going back and forth between the two negotiating and managing to get them to meet in the middle. It should be noted the estate agent did nothing this whole time.

Itā€™s now Monday 20th - one week left. All we need to do is get Wanker Aā€™s solicitors to pass over all docs to our new buyers. Great. But then Wanker A goes AWOL. We donā€™t hear from him until Wednesday morning when he suddenly reappears. It turns out heā€™d been hassling his wife and she got him arrested for harassment so heā€™d spent some time in custody. Heā€™s now back but a wreck. We spend ages on the phone with him Wednesday morning consoling him, agreeing what a bitch his wife is, saying anything supportive to coax him TF out of his funk and get him back on track. He finally calls his solicitors and tells them to transfer all files. They agree to do it by end of the day.

Great. But EoD comes and goes, and Thursday morning we call up anxiously asking whatā€™s going on and for them to send the files immediately. They promise to send it by EoD. Obviously they donā€™t.

Friday morning new buyerā€™s solicitors write an email threatening to sue Wanker Aā€™s solicitors for damages if they donā€™t send the documents immediately. Wanker A calls them up asking WTF they think theyā€™re playing at. Long story short, docs finally get sent, new buyerā€™s solicitors and ours are fortunately on top of everything and process the transfer of sale super fast on Friday, hashing everything out between them.

Great. All thatā€™s left is for the people weā€™re buying from to agree that all their damages were settled (as theyā€™re entitled to, theyā€™d claimed for interest on the loan theyā€™d received on original completion day, extra legal fees from their side, etc.). Despite calling us up on a near daily basis furiously demanding answers as to whatā€™s going on and what we were doing about the situation, and being generally unpleasant (upsetting as the situation wasnā€™t our fault and we were the only ones working hard to do something about it, but I understand their frustration) they suddenly go quiet. Itā€™s now end of Friday and final completion date is midnight Monday.

Coincidentally Monday is my wife and my anniversary. Sunday night we decide to go out for a meal though frankly neither of us were really in the mood, being exhausted and with such a cloud of uncertainty hanging over the whole thing despite being so close to finishing. During the meal, my wife gets a phone call from the estate agent - heā€™s angry because his client (Wanker A) is screaming at him saying heā€™d tried to do a property deal with another investor but the guy had said heā€™d heard that Wanker A wasnā€™t completing on his deals and he didnā€™t want to work with him. He wanted to know what weā€™d been saying about his client etc. We explained we hadnā€™t been spreading negative reports but obviously due to having to tell people about our situation, people would have known. We had to calm him down. Couldnā€™t even go out for a dinner on Sunday night without it being ruined by this prick.

Monday comes. Around midday we finally hear back from our sellers who say they want an extra Ā£350 for council tax payments for the two weeks theyā€™d be living in the house post completion date. We didnā€™t owe it to them and even if we did it wouldnā€™t have cost that much, but obviously they were just trying to squeeze us for more at the last minute. Obviously we paid and frankly were grateful they didnā€™t ask for more. We finally complete at 4pm. Our sellers told us to come and get the key from them. They were currently in another house about a 15 min drive away. They left it under their doormat and their only communication post completion was to message saying ā€˜Get it from under the matā€™. A shame that what should have been a moment of relief and congratulations all round was spoiled by these people. I told my wife she should have rung on their door and said she couldnā€™t find the key and made them bend down to root around and pick it up, just to match their pettiness, but sheā€™s a better person than I.

So we finally made it! But that was the most awful experience Iā€™ve had in a long time, being pushed around by two tossers (original buyer and then our sellers) and having to just suck it up. Oh, and the humiliation of having to go out whoring ourselves to every semi-wealthy person we knew to see if they, or someone they knew, or someone they knew who might know, would want to cash buy our house.

CUNTS!!

11 Likes

Blimey, thats a read and a half! Glad you made it through all that.

Just had confirmation its off for Monday, now looking like a couple more weeks now that we go back to trying to find a mutal date.

Fuck that for a game of soldiers, your wife should be negotiating international treaties with skilz like that.

Does she want to have a go at the Northern Ireland protocol? :grinning:

2 Likes

Crank call the Flying Squad and tell them there may be bodies under the kitchen and bathroom floors. Short work for a JCB a long thing for the petty people