Ugh, estate agents

When we were buying our first house we got a call from the bank the day before exchange to say we couldn’t have the money as the surveyor had mentioned something (many weeks ago when he wrote his report) about down pipes emptying onto the path and a risk of flooding. The house was 200 years old and at the top of a hill so it was a load of bollocks, which we manage to get written more professionally and in a hurry by a plumber or similar, which sorted them out. But it was the fact they’d sat on this for several weeks and only mentioned it when it was almost too late to sort it. Everything about the house buying process is bollocks. Good luck. Never move again !

Exactly what I thought after reading that tome

1 Like

All the various buyers and sellers said she’d been a far better estate agent than the actual estate agents involved. I’ve actually been begging her to be one, or find some kind of sales role, for years, she’d make a killing, but she refuses on the basis they’re all cunts and she doesn’t want to be like that.

Whilst I applaud her scruples, I really want a Huracan Evo and a Funktion One based hifi and it’s not helping me fulfill this puerile fantasy.

5 Likes

So update, a week later.

The Deed of Variation was signed last Friday but not in time for anything to happen, the solicitor at the bottom of the chain decided it would be a good idea to release their mortgage funds back to the lender.
So we got to Monday expecting everything to go through for exchange except the lended had to confirm receipt back before being able to release them back again to the solicitor. This took us until today (Friday) to have confirmation internally at HSBC that they had the money back and could guarantee it would be ready for a Monday 18th Completion.

So here we are, a week later, we might actually be ready at every level to exchange this morning and complete next Monday. We’ve already had to find a new moving company as our previous one booked were busy, which was stressfull enough!

If it does not go through today, I don’t have confidence in the solicitor/conveyancer at the bottom two of the chain (same company for both, bit dodgy) that they can exchange contracts so we can complete on the same day. After that, the next date for completion that everyone can do is Monday 1st August!

Fingers crossed!

7 Likes

Sorry to hear the legal bits of this are being such a clusterfuck Rob. Honestly, it shouldn’t be rocket science should it ?

Anyway, all the best for a smooth transition today and on Monday. Get a coolbox full of ice and drinks ready for then !

1 Like

Yep, already on it with cold drinks for the movers, I think I’ll stock up on some ice creams too, if Tesco have any left!

We have release of contacts!

22 Likes

Pleased for you Rob.

1 Like

Thanks, can’t wait!

1 Like

Great news, I bet you’re both very relieved!

1 Like

Great news, relieved for you!

It’s so stressful having to rely on other (not always competent) people to do vital things in a timely manner for you. Glad they pulled through.

1 Like

Exchanged! Full steam ahead on Monday!

19 Likes

Great news Rob!

1 Like

Excellent, that’s a bloody relief for you all.

1 Like

Just happy we can finally crack on! The up and down pretty much each working day for the last 2-3 weeks has been ridiculous. Will we, won’t we, what now, for fucks sake, oh we might, oh no, oh no, for fucks sake, maybe, oh yes, YES!

Its been a journey!

3 Likes

What a relief! Hope the actual move goes smoothly.

1 Like

What a good result at last. Well done. When’s the Bake off?

1 Like

Probably best to let the dust settle,week tomorrow should be enough time :+1:

2 Likes

As soon as I can find a date! At least this time, in summer, Snow should not halt peoples progress! :rofl:

5 Likes

That would be nice.

1 Like