Underfloor heating advice needed

Anyone had this fitted, can advice us on type/ any pitfalls to look out for?

We’re going to tile the kitchen into a dining room/conservatory and I think unless we have underfloor heating a much used space will be too cold underfoot.

Any type you’d recommend/ avoid? Cheers

We had the hot water version put in the extension when it was built. 100m of pipe covered 8x4m of floor space. The plumber installed some sort of manifold and hooked it up to the combi boiler. The piping was laid before the screed was poured for the floor, then we put porcelain floor tiles over the top. Theres a digital thermostat on the back (coldest) wall. It didn’t put our bills up, surprisingly.

So glad we did it.

1 Like

We have the electric version in our kitchen/diner. Tis not the cheapest method. Control panel thing seems easy enough to program.
Program it to warm up during cheap tariff and a little bit during normal tariff.

Dunno how it was installed, and it has Karndean over the top of it.

1 Like

We have a 2.3kW electric mat in the kitchen under a stone flagged floor, probably about 4mx4m square roughly. It’s expensive, I’ve really avoided using it much this winter.

Insulating underneath the matting, if that’s what you go for, is important.

I also have electric underfloor heating under Karndean in the bathroom, but the Karndean is so warm feeling that we never need to use it.

For those that chose electric, what led you to choose that over water?

Ive heard conflicting things about which is more efficient/cheaper to run.

Also, is underfloor heating in general more effective and efficient than radiator heating? I’m pleasantly surprised to read above that it didn’t put bills up… I’d have thought by having to heat such a greater area that it would cost more.

I’ve also heard that heating via Aircon can also be more efficient. Was actually thinking of trying to find an energy consultant or something to advise with this, as there seem to be as many opinions as solutions.

Think it’s horses for courses. If you’re doing a large area you’re going to want a wet system - it’s almost certainly going to work out cheaper to run.

For the odd individual room, electric mat is a convenient install.

Thick sheepskin slippers

2 Likes

Thanks. Mine will be a pretty big area so maybe water then.

Our is l-shaped and 7x6m at it’s longest bits. Think the previous owner should have gone for a wet system tbh.
He had plinth fan heaters (noisy buggers) installed as well. We don’t use those. We are not made of money.
He spend quite a lot knocking two walls down and putting in a fancy kitchen. Scrimped on the heating imo. Or didn’t give a fuck about the bill.

Our new offices at work have wet underfloor heating and an air source heat pump. Works really well, size is approximately 135m2. We used a Gypsum based flowscreed at 55mm thick 100-125mm of insulation bellow that.

My experience of it is 10 years out of date, but I found it slow to heat-up, slow to cool-down, and generally inefficient and expensive to run; it quickly stopped being used.

1 Like

My mother has underfloor heating in her flat that was a new build in 2009. It’s hilarious, nobody in the block knows how to make the heating work sensibly. Every night at about 10pm in winter she has to vent the place as it’s 35 centigrade.

As far as I can tell there are 5 zones in her place, each with thermostats that are correct to the nearest 10 degrees or so. Ish. The thermostats look like they’re from the 60s, even though they were installed with the heating.

The only useful experience I think I can bring is to make sure that you have good thermostats, ones that can take into account the overshoot that occurs with this kind of heating. Otherwise avoid like the plague!

This is helpful, thanks for responses. TBH it’s made me wonder whether to bother!

Get someone in to have a look you bell end. :slight_smile:

Or google Continal Underfloor. Wet is better as you have a larger thermal mass than electric.

2 Likes

Actually, if you call or email Continal with your plans or ideas they will advise accordingly.

If you are wanting it to be your primary heat source in the room, then wet is the preferred option in my experience. Electric is mainly supplementary and really just takes the chill off the floor surface.

Boring myself again now.

Hydronic or go home.

1 Like

I think you’ve nailed it - the existing radiators are the primary heat source, all I was looking for was to take the chill factor off the floor. Which I’m starting to think might not be worth the faff.

Do you have a choice?
Was it your ldea or Hel’s?

It was my idea, Hel wasn’t convinced but I guessed it was one of those things she would appreciate more once it was in.

I’m happy to put that money into the budget for projects elsewhere in the house (dodgy wallpaper and gopping tiles etc).

At least you have an out!