Vary Rare exBBC Doug Self Preamp with MM/MC + Balanced in/out

This delicious contraption came from the collection of the late Mr John Corbett - Chief Engineer at the BBC (external broadcast) and was built by the chap who quite literally wrote the book on Small Signal Design- Mr Douglas Self.

I believe that Mr Self actually laid down the gauntlet to all comers to build a more accurate device, a challenge that was never bested. I believe that you can still buy the boards by by the time you’ve bought all the components, built a case and done all the work you’ll undoubtedly have gone well over what I’m asking for this unicorn of a preamp.

This also has the serial cable with its fully labelled XLR cable (including L&R line 1, 2, tape, pre out)

As I’m raising funds for another wholly unnecessary HiFi purchase I only need £2000, which is no doubt a fraction of this things value. So that’s what I’m asking.

Can post but will have to buy a box and some serious packaging. And you’ll have to be in the next day as i only send special delivery, insured, next day pre 13:00 signed for.

Better still come to the commuters republic of swindon, have a cuppa and bring a rich friend with a compulsion for buying up esoteric audiotat!!

2 Likes