Vintage receivers

Sansui G 33000

4 Likes

Had its smaller brother the g22000 at the first Scalford
Should of kept that as well

2 Likes

School boy error, this was about an available/affordable device that looks the part! Not for proper listening!
:grinning:

My first ‘HiFi’ back in 1981 was one of these. Beomaster 901

Used of course, I imagine they had newer more modern looking units by then

1 Like

My first receiver Aiwa AX-7500 in 1977.

6 Likes

Very nice, like the green lighting.

1 Like

I had a nostalgia-trip some years back and bought the same receiver my dad bought back in 1976 and on which I first played the albums that got me hooked on both music and hifi - a properly obscure Japanese brand called ‘Sakai’ - about which I know nothing, but believe it was the then Fuji-Corporation’s attempt to break into an-already saturated hifi market, just at the point the British brands started a major renaissance…

The tatty, nicotine-soaked example I managed to find sounded on the warm side of good, and despite 40 years of neglect and abuse still worked perfectly after a good clean, and was used to drive Tannoy 606s in my study at Oxford: the combo was gloriously fruity and lush. It was last seen in Freefallrob’s son’s bedroom…

Coincidentally, there’s a tidy, serviced one on ebay at the mo - avowedly not as sexy as most in this thread, but still a proper slice of '70s time-travel for sane money.

3 Likes

Have one of these under the stairs

Came with manual and was £180 or so in 76 which is equivalent to £1500ish now

5 Likes

The first stereo receiver from Pioneer. I have the want for this…

3 Likes

If you actually were thinking of looking for one (well, you never know) then make sure the ‘magic eyes’ are strong. They fade with use and no replacements have been made for decades. There are some Russian surplus ones kicking about but all the popular shapes and pin connections have been hoovered up already.

1 Like

That’s an absolute stunner!

1 Like