Volvo V40 T2R, any experience? - or how I bought a green fiesta instead of a Maserati šŸ„“

This is the correct approach to Peugeots. Look at them. Then back away and try something else. Loathsome shitboxesā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s shocking eco - my long-term (>10K) average on the fucking Hilux is 34mpg and thatā€™s a 3.0L (diseasel) 4WD housebrick on off-road tyres that weighs two Golfs! :grimacing:

Itā€™s not great butā€¦ itā€™s a two litre petrol engine with 143bhp/litre. If you were to perform the same drive I did today in various two litre turbos of old (usually throwing out less power and moving a car that weighed less), youā€™d not get 39mpg out of them.

This being said. You do need to be fairly delicate to get that. Put it in twat mode and it does rather less;

(The 34mph average includesā€¦ some*ā€¦ minutes stationary in a car park)

3 Likes

@thebiglebowski You get on well with your mini donā€™t you?

Yebutt, can it tow a horsefloat?

Paging @PapaLazarou, @PapaLazarou please come in

1 Like

S Max for that. there was a horrible moment a couple of months back where i thought i might have to get a smallish 4x4 like a sportage or one of those posh spice range rover thongs, but i had the prescience to check out the towing weight for Claireā€™s car.

Suprised you could get those past Claire :flushed:

2 Likes

Need to clean my search historyā€¦

How many seats do you need? If youā€™re serious about using the S Max for all your family trips, consider an Audi TT. Itā€™s a bit left-field but the interior is a nice place to be, there are a number of engine options to balance performance against economy and they are all pretty capable. If you fold the rear seats thereā€™s a surprising amount of luggage space too - think 2 large + 2 small suitcases, a couple of golf bags or equivalent. Might look too much of a mid-life crisis car?

1 Like

Might occasionally need a proper back seat, mostly for the dog, but sometimes for human adults. I did put a strong case forward for a 2 seater ie a Boxster, but she invoked the ā€œnominally practical ā€œ clause. Then I tried to up the game to a 911, rear seats and all that, but a Ā£20k 911 is a risky propositionā€¦

As for midlife crisis, I currently drive a BMW convertibleā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m not being flippant here; go and look at a Fiesta ST. They are better to drive than the Mini, more reliable than the Mini, have more stuff than the Mini and have cheaper spares. You can also fit an amazing amount of shit in them. Going back to these wise words;

Itā€™s not really nice to look at but it doesnā€™t do a bad fist of the other two.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had 4 adults in my old 3.2 TT Mk1. Ok, itā€™s way too small for a long trip, but for a short hop to the pub it was a hoot ā€¦ made a lovely noise too with the VR6 :wink:

In the same way that the ambulatory dogfood :horse: was inevitable, so too is a Mini. His mind is made-up, just needs one person to agree that itā€™s a good idea.

I sense a sore back, spray tans, and age-inappropriate haircuts in someoneā€™s futureā€¦ :wink:

4 Likes

Minis are great.

2 Likes

Have you considered a nice RX8?
It has reasonable size boot, and 4 seats and doors!

4 Likes

This would be the principal of many objections Iā€™d have with the Mini. And this is coming from someone who was heavily involved in leading its original chassis and body design /development, albeit over twenty years ago.

The Cooper S in particular was designed for a younger demographic to rag around town in whilst being fleeced for OEM custom foo parts especially on the rag and fluff side.

It was not designed for the,ahem, more mature gentleman, and definitely not for journeys lasting over an hour. Even at 30 years old at the time the suspension was too hard for me and we deliberately backed off the Cooper non S to be far less likely to shake your spine out of my your mouth.

Great on German roads but utterly ridiculous on British tarmac.

@Tons_of_fun suggestion of an ST Fiesta is the most likely suggestion to span the 3 criteria I proposed.

3 Likes

Rob,

Iā€™m now on my second mini cooper. I tried the ā€˜Sā€™ and for me, it wasnā€™t worth the (lots of) extra money. I was doing weekly trips to Glasgow (3.5 hours each way) in my old one before lockdown and it was fine, I do monthly trips to Bristol and itā€™s not a big stress. Comfy enough, pretty quiet and 44+ mpg (mine is an DSG style auto, well worth a look). Youā€™re welcome to pop up and have a go.

1 Like

Yep, love it.

Havenā€™t done a great deal of mileage in the last year but I donā€™t understand the bad back comments. Recently Iā€™ve driven to Dover, Margate and Leamington Spa and back in the same day, all journeys that are around 280 > 320 miles and was fine when I finished.

Managed to get a weber smokey mountain and gear for lopwell in the back, can also get a standard fridge in the boot :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve got the 2015 Cooper S so it doesnā€™t have apple carplay but it does have the Chilli pack, Media and Nav so the large screen with sat-nav etc (itā€™s the BMW sat-nav so is very good and has the traffic notifications)

Itā€™s only 192 bhp but is very nippy, I tend to potter along at around 75mph on the motorway as this is the comfort speed but when I was in Germany got it up to 150mph (on the speedo) and it sucked itself down to the road, it was more stable than a V8 BMW 545 I had up to 165mph when I lived in Germany

Passengers do complain that the ride is hard and bumpy but I guess youā€™re more anchored as a driver so Iā€™ve never found it an issue.

Iā€™m 6ā€™ tall and have the seat all the way back so the back seat behind me is a right off.

This is my fifth Mini (1000CC mk IV (1979), 1275 GT, Cooper D (2010 new), Cooper (2011) and the current Cooper S (2015)) and have never had anything mechanical go wrong with the newer models, this one has never had a single advisory in its MOTs

2 Likes

Itā€™s not, Iā€™m open to the Fiesta ST option*, or maybe some kind of warmed over Focus, in fact a Ford might bring a brand new car into reach because FiL worked for Ford and gets a discount voucher.

*Partially, the fact that FoL2 has a Fiesta (albeit it an older model, obvs) about to arrive might put me off a bit, in a driving around in a similar car to my 17 year old daughter sort of way.

1 Like