Want to try a valve amp

Close the thread…

5 Likes

MAExch advert looks like it’s still up on HiFi shark at least…1K off RRP

1 Like

Is this a good buy, do you think chaps ?

Not a bad call but I cannot comment on price…tho if not already done would benefit from replacing the cheap pots, switches and with a handfull better quality caps and resisters under the hood, a friend did just so and took the SQ of his up a level.

An oto?

Know nothing about them

I like the ai 500.but the cables coming out the side made me cry.

I’ve had a few ai 500s and 300s but find it hard to say what was best as there were all used in different rooms with different systems

But this 300 is sounding extremely nice. I probably paid a bit to much for it, but I’m glad I did.

Reckon a 500 might be £700 tops without the BP? It’s a nice sounding amp, almost as nice as a 300 :rofl:

Far too low powered Stu.

What speakers?

Surely not as nice as that ?

Transmission Audio M1i’s Stu.

Not heard of them

What sort of amp recd for them?

The spec says 10W+ but I’m not at all convinced on that.

Yeah they’d need more than that in a large room

Mine are in a tiny (2.5M x 3M) room

An AI500 working properly is a 25W/ch amp. If you had a 100W/ch amp it would only be 6dB louder. The noise floor can be very valve-dependent. In a perfect world you’d break into Langrex late at night and work your way through their stock of ECC83s until you found enough quiet ones.

VB

1 Like

LOL, I wasn’t even having a laugh.

Saw the monos and thought that they come in on budget and posted, then my glacial memory said “oh, he wanted an integrated with phono stage” and added the text. :innocent:

This sort of thing might work. I like Copland things. Had a cd player and amp with a pair of QLN’s when I lived in Sweden.

It does say “220V model” at the bottom of the listing. It might be OK across the full EU voltage range, but I can’t see a CE mark on the rear, which is slightly odd.

VB

I had a a Copland valve power amp once.
One of the worst things I have owned