Water filters

I want an under sink water filter system. This is for drinking and putting into the kettle, basically. Our water tastes not great, and doesn’t get that much better when I use a jug filter so I want better. I want it to remove some of the nasty stuff and reduce or eliminate scale.

As far as I can see there are:

• Inline filter systems, which have an activated charcoal system. These cost from £20
  • Reverse osmosis systems, which basically remove everything
  • Reverse osmosis systems plus remineralisation, which put back some of the taste removed

I have a Kinetico softener which is great. They also have reverse osmosis filters that don’t need power, which is elegant - the K2 is £365, and the remineralisation version K5 is about £600. Good but expensive, and the filters are quite expensive as well.

Then there is this

Which is £143 for a RO with remineralisation and the filters are £23 for a full set.

Any wisdom or recommendations?

Full faff or bust

A lot depends on how fast you want the water to flow.
If you’re going to put the filtered water into a separate container to use later, then one that only fllters at a trickle rate will suffice. These RO kits can be had for as little as £40.

If you want a fast flowing tap to, say fill a kettle direct, then you will pay a lot more.

I got a BWT V system for the coffee machine. I think it will go to 8 bar, which is a very high rate. BWT V cartridges can be had on ebay for as little as £50. Long lasting too, filters 2500 litres before needing replacement

e have always used brita. Up until recently we used a separate filter tap fitted to the sink, but i replaced it with one of these:

https://www.brita.co.uk/waterbars/wd-3030

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/brita-dolce-water-filter-tap-with-cartridge?gclid=CjwKCAjw5cL2BRASEiwAENqAPm39py0_Cniwd_fiXMB8qRLf6EX9v8ftIIKyYaYw-KEEH62BCwcuuRoCK5gQAvD_BwE

The water tastes good from the tap, we use it for cooking, tea, coffee etc.

We change filter about 3 times a year and the filters are £45 a go. No faff simple and just works - and we haven’t had to descale a kettle since we’ve had the taps (about 4 years). Takes up very little space under the sink.

If you’re thinking of a jug, do the maths. Britta cartridges work out very expensive. Aquaphor are much better value.

OK this looks a whole load less faff than an RO system. Is it suitable for taps though? Their website doesn’t specify

Well, the top gizmo that the cartridge screws into has a universal half inch fitting in and out, so standard plumbing plus any tap you want :+1:

Yeah it looks like it should work fine tbh. I wondered if there was anything about a tap’s variable flow rate that might fuck it up, but I can’t really see how it would. It would have to cope with anything for a coffee machine I would think. Maybe it wouldn’t work at a dribble.

Looking at the Aquaphor website their RO-102s looks great, but their UK distro’s website is down for me.

@anon14766838 that Brita system looks really neat, but I already have a dedicated tap.

I guess my decision is over whether to get a simple filter system, or the more complex RO. The RO would need a pump and separate container, so it’s quite a lot bigger. There is space under the sink, just need to relocate some of the crap that has accumulated there.

Thing with an RO, it has either three or four stages, all with renewable media, mechanical (some sort of foam), carbon, RO membrane and some with de-ionisation.

The Bwt is a complete self-contained unit, so far less faff.

No, they work on mains pressure :+1:

I’m not absolutely sure my pressure is high enough. I should test it really…

It probably will be…

you mean a hot/cold normal sink tap you dont want to replace or you already have the dedicated filter tap?

This is the BWT Bestmax V, plumbed into the cupboard under the sink.

The white cylinder simply unscrews from the blue bit on top. :smiley:

1 Like

Both! :blush:

You need to get a clip or two on that fucking pipework mind.

Or invest in an umbrella.

1 Like

ella.

ella. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would a bent 4" nail or two suffice? :thinking:

1 Like

Old skool.

1 Like