What are you eating for Christmas? Thread necro for 2023

It’s a rare one where that probably won’t be an option - if most guests have main meal lunch as is expected, we’ll be expected to leave leftovers in the fridge for the guests to graze on in the evenings. And anyone doing a meal in the evening is likely not to be finished before 22:00 at the earliest.

I’m brining a turkey crown which will be partially stuffed along with additional sausage meat stuffing, roasties. red cabbage, brussels, greens, carrots and bread sauce.

Thought I was doing a friend’s birthday dinner on the 27th so bought 4kg of rump to sous vide and finish on the BBQ but I wasn’t paying attention to the fact that plans have changed. :man_facepalming:

Edit: plus pigs in blankets, gravy and home made quince jelly.

Five finger discount required. :grinning:

Looks like it might just be me and my son now with £50 quids worth of turkey

4 Likes

You could make a curry with the leftovers?

2 Likes

Off to London Boxing Day,so will take it with us for a buffet,or just lob bits at people on the M4

9 Likes

I’m cooking for ten (I think) this year. Beef will be the main dish, 2.6kg of sirloin picked up today. Will get a smallish turkey crown and a ham tomorrow to accompany. Fruit and veg shops was out of leeks for my soup so need to go back early tomorrow morning or it will be supermarket bought.
Menu
Chicken and rice soup or Lentil for the non meat eaters.

Prawn cocktail or some sort of funghi dish (tbc)

Roast sirloin of beef and all the trimmings with additional turkey or ham on request. Claire hasn’t made up her mind on her main yet.

Various overpriced deserts from M&S to be picked up tomorrow and I might do a trifle.

Lots of cheese with chutney and port

A nice nap

3 Likes

Traditional (picked up from the wife’s side) champagne and smoked salmon (actually Lidl smoked trout) on wheaten bread with gifts around 11.

Two rib roast 2-ish.

We have enough booze to kill a rhino.

I’ve just witnessed a sisters Skype con-call regarding “I’ve forgotten this” “I have too much of that” so it looks like we’ve offloaded some of the weekly veg box’s excess of red cabbage and parsnips.

2 Likes

I will be shopping towards midnight, see what the hunt snares.

Will be preparing this, aka Giant Naked Mole Rat, on Christmas Eve. Served with all the usual bits and bobs.

5 Likes

Braved MK Kingston Tesco last night for the usual hell stroll for provisions amongst the great unwashed.
A meagre amount was available, no selection boxes, everything was either Lindt or Toblerone in some sort of misguided attempt to be a bargain Waitrose.
Luckily the comedy liqueur chocs, Turkish delight and bittermints had already been purchased from jeff otherwise… the horror.
Tomorrow I shall be cooking the traditional Guinness, maple and brown sugar ham and waiting for the butchers delivery of enough turkey, bacon and pigs in blankets to clog even Jim’s colon.
Christmas just doesn’t feel the same this year for some reason. I blame the tories.

1 Like

:joy: No chance, my colon is always free-flowing, as you all know.

2 Likes

Rib of beef
Gammon (slow cooked in coke and dr pepper with a pinch of five-spice in the Ninja 15in1 for 12 hrs and then roasted in the oven with marmalade and maple syrup)
sprouts with chestnuts & pancetta
spiced red cabbage
carrots
roast spuds
parsnips
carrot & swede (for mum & dad) :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Port decanted. It usually needs a day or two IMO.

The house now smells quite strongly of Dundee cake. Made by the wife, not me obvs.

8 Likes

Spot on Paul, my kind of Christmas food. :+1:

We have guests so I’ll be doing as requested for them a cranberry, pork and sage stuffed chicken with bacon top skin. Hel and I will have some kind of wellington made with a chestnut, mushroom, sweet potato and cheese filling and a port sauce.

Served with a lot of roast potatoes, freshly made dauphinoise, sprouts sautéed with shallots and herbs, mixed carrots, roast parsnips, spiced red cabbage and homemade stuffing balls, also some yorkshire puds.

Starter will be some beer battered halouimi with a spicy dressed salad. Pudding is also on request a fruit crumble and custard and a cheese board so big I’ve had to buy a bigger wooden paddle to put it all on.

Everyone else will have fizz, niece will need several espresso martinis making, and I’ll be sipping on a nice Barolo.

9 Likes

You’d be as well off just eating an actual Wellington! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pipe down you ginger twit :smile:

9 Likes

Conversely I expect that niece #1 will be making several espresso martinis for me at some point over the festivities :+1:

And as of last night we have learned that her new boyfriend can cook :+1:

4 Likes

Lasagne Ive just cooked

13 Likes