What I'm watching (Part 1)

Gill was wondering how many Leavers would feel they’d been manipulated. Not many would careTBH. They’ll think they reached their decision by themselves.

It’s a fairly scary vision of how elections will be conducted from now on. The best PR disseminated most effectively will win.

1 Like

This is sadly the future. Elections won and lost on social media.

My Dad voted leave and, speaking with him the other day, I asked him if, after what has transpired, he was wrong to have done so. Silence followed by ‘well it’s done now, so they need to get on with it’

Later he told me ‘a lot of people are regretting voting leave now’

This is Hartlepool. Hanged a monkey. Elected a monkey as mayor. Transformed the docks area from no-go to upmarket marina with money from the EU. Voted leave by one of the largest margins in the UK.

100,000 fucking idiots (I love my Dad, but he’s one of them) and still, people ask me why I retired here…

5 Likes

Pride is a block, I would imagine Leavers would simply turn off or write the program off as ‘A story’ or ‘C4 bollox’ or find some non existent bias to undermine the thrust of the show. Very few people are willing to humble themselves to truth. When I did a degree in PR in the 90’s 60% of all news coverage was PR led. I don’t know the figure these days but I would imagine it to be a great deal higher. I suspect there are more PR lobbyists now too. As news leans more towards infotainment complex narratives are simplified to the point they can contain little truth. People do feel disenfranchised and powerless and as such a message like ‘Take back control’ is tremendously hard to counter. Whilst watching I did wonder what a better counter ‘rallying cry’ might be and came up with nothing even close. In truth it wouldn’t have mattered as remain didn’t get the airtime.

4 Likes

I watched Killing Eve last night. We ended up watching two episodes, it was so good :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

6 more to go …it gets better and better!

1 Like

It’s brilliant😁

1 Like

Wolf of Wall Street

2 Likes

Just watched QT (I know, I know) and now watching the intro to This Week.

I’m undecided. slash my wrists, go to bed, open another bottle of whisky.

Decisions, decisions.

Fiona Bruce did pretty well but the woman in yellow won it.

1 Like

Fiona Bruce was certainly no worse than her predecessor, but who was the woman in yellow (I’m seriously colourblind btw)

Genuine question btw, I have no idea who she is?

1 Like

Thanks, Stu.

Yes she did very well, sadly I would have called her the woman in green…

As I said, colours are not my area of expertise, amongst many other areas btw :grimacing:

1 Like

So what colours do Sunderland play in Paul? Black and white stripes? :joy:

As the poster suggests this Stanislav Szukalski had somewhat of a ‘rich inner life’ - I found this to be most compelling, beautiful, funny, insane, shocking and sexy in equal, moving, measure. Probably the best documentary I’ve seen in quite some time.

1 Like

That image has sold it to me, will give it a go on Sunday.

1 Like

really enjoyed QT , it was briilliant

1 Like

Did you stay up long enough to see Andrew Neill and Owen Jones have a shouty go at each other? I thought Neill’s hairpiece would be launched into orbit by his rage.

3 Likes

I did. Fantastic stuff!

That was brilliant, Andrew Neill unable to keep his Mr Nasty from bubbling to the surface. Just after he had swooned OJ for his handling of the nob heads, he should have known it was coming :grinning:

Yes, Neill’s discomfort was palpable. He lost it and it was very entertaining.

For the record, I consider OJ to be an utter nob too.

2 Likes