What I'm watching (Series 2)

Looks really good.

Just finished both seasons of The Missing - fantastic, canā€™t believe I missed it when it was on BBC originally (now on Netflix). The first season in particular was quite emotive, portraying well the feeling of losing a child.

Oh that looks great!

Night Sky, Amazon Prime.

First episode in and giving every indication of following Outer Range in being gash.

Good premise, but not in any way gripping.

Iā€™m liking it, especially the relationship between Spacek and Simmons, beautifully acted.

1 Like

Agreed.

https://youtu.be/xDu1Q9r6HDo

@thebiglebowski

Youā€™ll appreciate the comments.

1 Like

The Netflix dirty money episode about VW (which also includes bmw and Mercedesā€™)ā€¦ā€¦ I give up. I wonder if there is a single large company that isnā€™t bent.

Iā€™m really enjoying it!

Iā€™m still grinding it out. Maybe itā€™s just my hangover.

Donā€™t get me wrong, itā€™s slow, but thatā€™s not always a bad thing.

Looks like itā€™s release is next year

2 Likes

Itā€™s not good. Flatters to deceive a bit at the start.
Paper thin characters added on, zero tension at the very end of a drawn out period of not a lot.
All boils down to some goodies and baddies.

I didnā€™t mind watching it but it let me down. Itā€™s yet another series where no one talks and no one asks the obvious questions (infuriating).

I saw Top Gun Maverick this morning. Itā€™s ace.

There have been a few reboots recently that have got it just right, and this is one (Ghostbusters another that springs to mind). Itā€™s got some really nice nods to the original (which I rewatched a couple of days ago, itā€™s rather meh), but also to Star Wars (4) and Star Trek, I think. Unexpected but brought a smile.

But the flying scenes are just dazzling - intense and great fun. Absolutely worth it for the spectacle.

Sure, the plot is pure bubblegum, rather absurd and predictable, but it manages that ā€œI know whatā€™s going to happen, but Iā€™m just going to enjoy the rideā€ just right.

Very easy to recommend.

6 Likes

Oh and is there a name for the little nod plus eye contact that characters do to each other, to convey subtle approval? It usually happens at the end of films, to show connection with the nod recipient and approval for the difficult decisions that have had to make during the film.

Itā€™s amazing, it avoids the need for writers to write decent dialogue and actors to act. So useful.

Watching this, again. BBC4 now

2 Likes

Saw that a while ago, lovely. Hope he stays healthy enough to end his days there.

Iā€™m going on Friday.

I havenā€™t watched The Graduate since the mid 70s but as itā€™s currently on the iPlayer we decided to watch it last night. First thing is how well filmed it is, second is how good life looked for comfortable people living on the West coast of the US in 1967. The interiors are so modern. Itā€™s still a funny story well acted by Dustin H, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross & the mayor from Jaws. The last 20-30 minutes are a little frantic but overall itā€™s still a good watch that has aged well. Recommended.

Also the Simon & Garfunkel sound track adds to the feel particularly Scarborough Fair hinting at troubles ahead in Vietnam.
https://www.songfacts.com/facts/simon-garfunkel/scarborough-fair-canticle

4 Likes

We used to sing Scarborough Fair at school in the 50ā€™s.