WiFi repeaters

Have always had issues with the 2mb dial up internet connection we have here. It’s not great but better than nowt (broadband arrives in a couple of years apparently)

Anyway I have two repeaters of one brand and one of another. The two of the same brand are set up the same. This is where I get confused …I’m pretty sure they can’t share the same set up IP address, but that’s what I’ve done but obviously named them 1 and 2 ext. When they link into repeater mode do they automatically get assigned their own ap address linked to the routers?
I want to add the other brand one onto the existing daisychain I presume this is as simple as it sounds.

I’m just trying to boost a weak signal that bit further into the other part of the house and yes it’s all 4 foot stone walls.

I have a TPLink router, a TPLink access point, and two TPLink repeaters. They all have their own IP address.

Each device should have its own IP address, and they should all be set by the router. The extensions you are adding should be set as access points, as if you try and stick them into router mode they are going to generate issues.

If you have 4 foot thick stone walls you may be better off using a powerline kit to connect the new access point.

I use Fing app, on my phone, to see all the devices on my network.
Quick and easy troubleshooting.

3 Likes

Not aware of that app, just downloading now, looks quite handy.

It’s teh shizzle.

Guys thanks I’ll do that app and have a butcher’s

They are all set up in repeater mode I just wasn’t sure if when you initially set them up they have a generic IP address ( as I have bought two of the same model) they then when linked to the router have that IP address changed

John it’s three phase and the other part of the house is on another phase to the router, I presumed ( probably wrongly) that this would not work?

The one thing you have to watch out for is a router giving an ip address that the repeater doesn’t recognise…
Make sure that the range of router assigned addresses matches that of the repeaters and change if necessary.

1 Like

I would have thought that having a daisy-chain of repeaters would give a really slow connection, as loads gets lost in overhead. But if you only have 2MB/s, meh. It’ll also be really annoying if you move around, as devices hold on to a poor connection for ages before searching for a better one.

In your situation I would look to install decent access points in the loft. I use Unifi, which have been a revelation compared to consumer grade crap (even though the latter has been more expensive!). These will mesh perfectly, so automatically hand over to a different access point with better signal with no interruption.

The powerline plan would be good if you can’t do the loft; it should be OK over three phase but with a speed reduction. Unlikely to be a huge issue for a 2MB/s connection. My experience of wifi homeplug devices (Devolo) was not good - the basic homeplugs are great, wifi ones fucking awful.

So in descending order:

1. Decent APs wired over ethernet, installed in the loft
  2. Decent APs connected via homeplug system
  3. Mesh wifi like Google Home or BT WholeHome
  4. Random APs connected via ethernet or homeplugs
  5. Homeplug wifi devices
  6. Random APs daisy-chained

The first two will be lovely to use. 3 should be good, and if you buy from John Lewis you can take it back if it’s shit. 4 and 5 will be annoying to use and your wife and kids will administer regular cockpunches to you.

Thanks adam, it’s not so much the wife and kids (we all kinda like switching off while we are on hols) but we also rent it out and most guests expect something even though we might it clear it is poor at best.

Broadband is on its way soon so trying to minimise the spend. I’ve ordered some home plug thing and will then set up AP points on them.

I’ll see how that goes , if it’s shite I will look into the mesh you mention

One of these has replaced a whole raft of homeplugs and repeaters for me…
http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/23764-ubiquiti-uap-ac-lr/

It’s a long range one, and just needs a single ethernet cable from your router. It would work with your faster broadband when you get that.

1 Like

Adam, I’m looking into this again, this time for a pal who has 5 small flats over 3 floors. First up it seems relatively easy to set up? Do you just one long ranger or a couple ?

I have a long house (Victorian terraced); a single long range is enough for the whole house. There is a chunky brick wall in the way between the router and kitchen, but most devices work fine anyway. If they drop, they recover in seconds. This is way better than I had with repeaters or second networks.

For your mate I would start off with one and see, although if you have multiple you need a system for connecting them - either a network cable or home plugs. That may be an issue. Think about placement.

Edit: setup is trivial, I haven’t done a thing to it. You can do loads of stuff about managing access, but this is simply not necessary for me for my use. The options are there is you need them.

1 Like