Wtd: Cheap'ish 240V to 100V step down

Would need to be able to cope with an absolute Max of, say, 100W (kit rated at ~20W).

Anybody got anything knocking about that they would like to find a new home for ?

I have got one somewhere. Where do you live Mike?

I live in Luton Dave.

I will dig it out today and weā€™ll arrange something.
Canā€™t post, to lazy.

Great stuff, thanks Dave

too

Sure Iā€™m pissing into the wind with this, but I need to get it out of my system: if thereā€™s one piece of kit absolutely not to cut corners with, itā€™s mains transformers.

Safety-wise itā€™s life and death stuff for a variety of reasons. Beware especially of unbranded Chinese stuff - allegedly specced for Euro-compliance, in reality they aim for 220VAC (UK is 230-250VAC), but rarely achieve it, undertake zero QA checking and slap-on a ā€œChina Exportā€ CE sticker which is 100% meaningless. Materials and insulation quality are very often below any meaningful safety standard. And donā€™t fondly-imagine they send the round-eyes the good stuff - we get the B-grades and below because they know full-well they have zero consumer-accountability, the halfway decent stuff is home-market only.

Itā€™s also important to the dynamic performance of attached equipment, most-obviously amps - they may be nominally rated at (e.g.) 20W, but depending on design, implementation and speaker-pairing they might hit transient dynamic peaks more than 10 times higher than that. Current headroom is vital.

Then you can have all that in place, and if thereā€™s ā€˜DCā€™ offset on your household mains (and there almost always is), your transformerā€™s going to lose a mighty chunk of its efficiency - and possibly sit there buzzing like a bastard to boot.

All that said, Daveā€™s not exactly known for cheaping-out on kit, so hopefully, all goodā€¦

1 Like

The reason I asked here Paul, is precisely that I didnā€™t want to ā€˜investā€™ in a transformer turned pizza oven.

1 Like

I have searched around but canā€™t find it Mike. Tomorrow I will look in a cupboard that at the moment has stuff in front of it.

1 Like

Thanks for looking Dave, hopefully itā€™ll turn up.

He puts the Chi-Fi stuff in the cupboard.

I have sold my Chi-Fi stuff to very appreciative audiophiles.

2 Likes

Suits me. Even Daveā€™s Chi-Fi stuff is of a certain superior quality :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good news Mike Iā€™ve found it. :+1:

Great stuff. Answered your pm Dave

Still looking, if anybody has one surplus, or can recommend one.

Airlink are very good

https://airlinktransformers.com/category/japan-uk-voltage-converters

@sjs made a really good 240v>220v step-down for the M7 when he fixed it for me.

Thanks Chris, all sorted now.