2017 Formula 1 - The next generation

Updated

Nico and Hammy are besterest buddies again apparently.

Williams launch…

Doesn’t look at great as I hoped to be honest, perhaps they’ll look better in the flesh.

Didn’t they 50p for the meter?
Looks a bit dark there, a few lights might have helped

Some interesting stuff here - New Sauber.

Updated. Big week this.

Let’s hope THIS consultancy has more benefit than his previous efforts. Although I expect it to be more “figure head” than anything else.

No doubt due to the larger tyres and extra width but those front wings look enormous

They look to me like the last lot of wide front wings. You know, the ones the year before last, that everybody lost against everybody else’s rear tyres ?

All these new cars look really superb, however I doubt the running order will be that much different from last year unfortunately…

I fear, due to the new aero, braking and new tyres, that the field will be more stretched out than we are used to. Possibly back to 90s levels.

Time will tell, I guess.

They’ve still got DRS though??

Doesn’t DRS mainly make sure that the fastest car finishes first, by enabling passing? It should lead to a fairly spread out field then. What could help would be a system to slow down the leader (like many driving computer games have), although I guess this would defeat much of the purpose of F1!

The issue presumably boils down to excellence of performance versus excitement of race.

Well one of the issues is that F1 is seen as trying to be the fastest car possible within the current rules structure that exist at the time. Which unfortunately leads to the situation we have at the moment, where the best funded, teams always tend to win.

You always get ‘better racing’ in series where the cars are identical or there’s a handicap system in place.

So the reality is, that all the teams should be equally funded in F1, to get closer racing, and I suppose this could be a situation that the new owners might move to in the near future???

There are plenty of formats with Identical cars or handicap systems but they are not F1.
As soon as you introduce those type of rules then F1 has gone.
There is a very good argument for more equal distribution of funds to allow for the smaller teams to at least have some stability and be able to invest in performance programs (i.e. stop giving unfair amounts to Ferrari) and now Bernie has gone this might happen.
But leave F1 alone.

1 Like

Kevin,

Agree completely. F1 has been the closest motorsport to being a meritocracy for drivers, engineers and marketing people for a very long time now and should not be made a spec series.

There are many other racing motrosports possibilities out there with spec cars (lower categories and now IndyCar is going that way), or balance of performance measures to ensure close racing (IMSA, Sports Cars, DTM) or very restrictive and unclear rules to ensure close racing (NASCAR) for people to watch, but they are nowhere near as popular as F1, even if they were all summed together…

NASCAR and F1 stand out as series that work, with the series with the greater freedoms, being the most popular.

2 Likes

The other teams can give up now… lol.

1 Like