Diet and Fitness

Having lost no weight in January, I have dropped 6lbs this month. Kickstarted by manflu I have continued on reduced calories and light walking. Mainly smaller portions plus cutting out biscuits at work. We supply free unlimited biscuits in the office which are cruelly kept in a transparent container next to the kettle :imp: In addition there are always cakes from someone celebrating a birthday etc

Want to lose a few more pounds.

1 Like

We had this in my last office. Fucking terrible.

I was cocky and tried for 8,8,7 (jumping from 7,7,7). I managed but only just :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Good work though, you’ve clearly made a number of adjustments and your bodies started to respond - keep going and you’ll get there.

Yeah I can relate - the biscuit and cake culture in the NHS is terrible but fortunately I’ve never had a sweet tooth, booze calories are my weakness :blush:

What’s your target weight? Because that’s the point at which you need to work out what your long term diet and habits are going to need to be to stay there.

Great stuff. You’ll be buff with your top off for summer in no time!

(must be a triathlete)

Ha. I probably really need to start introducing some different exercises though…

Yeah, that’s probably the one. The 12kg KB arrived, but like you said earlier, in some ways it actually felt harder to swing than the heavier one!!?

What would you start off trying to do to begin with?

Not sure of target weight.

I am 5ft 8 and been 12st 2 to 12st 5 ish for years.

Now down to 11st 12 which is comfortable for me.

Another 2 or 3 lbs would be ok I think.

As long as its heavy enough to carry some momentum it should be ideal to learn the technique. Start off with mastering the swing - looks easy, harder to really nail it. Go back to the videos I posted above and the cues I mentioned - take your time getting these grooved. Do a couple of cues at a time rather than trying to remember everything from the start.

I would do a circuit to mix things up and give you some recovery time between KB sets. Now you’ve got some very respectable press up capacity you could add these in if you want

Try -

10-15 KB swings
3-5 press ups
5 bodyweight squats
5-10 crunches

As one cycle, no rest between movements, start with one minute between cycles with the aim of getting down to none!

Start with 5 cycles which should take about 20-30 mins. Add cycles as you build up your capacity.

Up your protein intake!

You could check BMI calculators etc to get a so called healthy weight range. To be honest i see weight as either functional or aesthetic. You either need to be a certain weight for an activity or because you want to look a certain way in a t-shirt or feel confident to take your top off.

This is why I find body fat % (or lean muscle mass) a more useful indicator. I know the kind of performance improvements i can get at different %'s, and how I’ll look. Currently at c 18% at 13 st or c 150 lbs lean mass (also 5’8") I initially aim to be 12% bf at 12 st 10 lbs or 155 lbs lean.

This means losing 11 lbs of fat and adding 5 lbs of muscle. 12% is typically when a six pack is starting to be visible. 10 % it’s defined, but the effort for the extra 2% is a lot more than it’s worth. That’s a side issue though, I really want the better balance between muscle and fat for the fitness benefit and my ambition to be able to do ring transitions again.

Not aiming to be super fit just trying to avoid decline to obesity and keep active in to retirement.

I am going to suggest we start supplying fruit rather than biscuits. Most people in the office are fighting to keep weight down.

It’s fucking brutal. Even if you’re “restrained” and get a biscuit every so often it’s easy to still eat 5-6 biscuits a day, every day and that’s 4-500 calories extra every single day just from biscuits. It’s difficult not to put weight on with a free unlimited biscuit tin. It’s really fucking stupid and unnecessary.

Biscuit tin + eroded willpower due to tiredness from first kid combined to lead to significant weight gain over a year or so for me.

11 and a half stone seems like a good target to work towards then.

Fruit has not that great calorific value to be honest and is largely sugars. If I had a choice I’d bring nuts and seeds as snacking food - for that 3pm lull.

I agree. Plus, there’s evidence isn’t there that even being a little bit overweight can be healthier in some ways than being super lean.

11.5 stone is a healthy weight for me. I just want to be leaner and lighter for reasons other than just health.

Interesting. I love nuts but that’s another area I have cut down. I buy the really small packets now as I can easily chomp through a large bag of mixed nuts (walnut, brazil, almonds etc).

All down to will power or lack of in my case :smiley:

I want to be able to do those push ups where you launch off the ground and clap before coming back down for another rep :stuck_out_tongue:

One handed?

What do they sound like?

Depends if anyone’s listening :nerd_face:

I can only imagine it sounds like someone faceplanting into the floor!

Yeah clap press ups need explosive strength and plenty of fast twitch fibres, but definitely impressive.