General election 8th June

Unsuccessfully it seems:

In a surprising turnaround I’ve decided to vote Labour on June 8.

I want my vote to matter in a constituency where my Conservative MP is a member of the cabinet with a safe majority. It’s a foregone result, meaning the best I can do is send a message to another candidate saying I support you.

I was going to vote LibDem because I’m on the same political page as a number of their key policies (apart from another EU ref, enough). The candidate they are putting up is a complete yoghurt knitter, however, so I can’t vote for her.

So to Labour. He’s a young first time candidate and looking at his twitter feed not much of a Corbyn fan. Just the bare minimum to appear on side with the leadership. He deserves my encouragement I think.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Hopefully he’s just canny and doesn’t want to appear too pro Corbyn, thus avoiding the glare of the confused Tories left over from the dark days :+1:

Whilst I am no big fan of Sturgeon, this is quite the burn:

2 Likes

Similarly no fan. But she often appears the cream of the British crop, in days of such meagre leadership.

4 Likes
1 Like

See our grinning idiot Sarah Olney was in those clips.

In situations like this, we should all look to Danny DeVito.

Follow DeVito’s advice and you won’t go far wrong.

Remember that on election day as you go to vote.

1 Like

An unintended consequence of the Tory Care tax will be it’s effect on the housing market. There will be a greater number of large family homes on the market as pensioners increasingly have to downsize to limit their assets and reduce their future care cost liabilities. This will have a devastating impact on the market for smaller/starter homes which is already overblown due to the Bedroom Tax and property investors.

And the 25% tax free pension withdrawl change when you reach 55.

If they downsize, they’ll have to give the money away as well, so there should be more cash swishing round the middle classes. No idea what the consequences will be though.

Getting more liquidity into the housing market has to be a good thing though, surely? If OAPs are getting up family homes then the price is these should drop, relatively

Virgin Care must be rubbing their hands together.

I see a rapid rise in sales of cruises and round the world trips. It’s easy to spend money. :slight_smile:

Given the rise in Houses of Multiple Occupancy due to the return on investment, I don’t see there being much of a drop in prices.

I think that Virgin Care mostly provide community health services, things like health visiting, clinics etc.

I expect that the biggest impact of the so called social care ‘reform’ will be on domiciliary care providers, who in many parts of the country are already on their knees trying to cope with rising demand and reduced funding. I reckon we’ll see greater division in price and quality between council and individual self funders.

It will affect all housing. Even up here in Barrow a 3 bed detached is going to set you back nigh on two hundred.

As for Virgin Care, they already have many of the adult social care contracts. This whole policy has effectively privatised the provision of care in the home and people will vote it through at the election.

That is Branson’s pay off, the Americans will soon be in on the act too.

If you are thinking about a Trust, do it in plenty of time or they will ignore it if they think you are doing it to avoid paying. Same goes for selling up.

So the Tory policy is that you buy your own home and then be forced to use equity to fund your social care via the private sector. I wonder how many health care companies sponsor the Tory Party?

With housing equity now being forced into the market private sector companies will hoover up the funding. Self funders will soon be the majority of us and we will all be in the private sector.

^ Yep.

I wasn’t aware of that but then I’m mostly on the health side or boundary in between. So how many ASC contracts do Virgin hold then and as a % of the total council provision?