Gooey Eyed Reminiscing about Old Planes

This an old plane.
The first aircraft I ever flew on.

Flew from Aberdeen to Gatwick into a headwind in about 1979/80

Took 4.5 hours :roll_eyes:

BA withdrew them from service in 1981

My first flight in the mid/late 60s was on one of these…

…from Adelaide to Kangaroo Island.

2 Likes

Quite fitting that Aussies should be ‘transported’ as cargo! :wink:

1 Like

I couldn’t of flown then, wasn’t even born :smirk:

have

1 Like

No, I ofn’t !

1 Like

My first flight was on one of these back in 1970.

What seems surprising now is the leap in technology between 1960 & 1970 when both the 707 and the DC-8 made transatlantic travel seem easy. With the exception of Concorde the flight times haven’t changed much since then

My first flight was to Barbados on a 747 back in '89.

It was quite a long way.

my first flight was on Thunderbird 2

actually my first was in 1970 to Ibiza, I have no idea what aircraft - it was a jet and could have been a 707. I do recall going up to the flight deck with my brother, and getting a certificate of the flight/visit.

I’ve never flown as I believe in saving the worlds resources

:+1:

First flight (school trip) was in the mid 70’s on a DC10. This was around the time the cargo doors started to pop open unexpectedly, causing the planes to fall out of the sky. I don’t recall being unusually worried about it though. We flew to Dubrovnik which, back then, was quite a basic airport, not that I’d had any prior experience of them.

VB

My first flights in the late 50s/early 60s were in De Havilland Comets. Didn’t think about it then cos I was only a little boy and too busy throwing up :nauseated_face:

…if you read about them on Wiki now though…I’m lucky to be alive!! :flushed:

Just seen this thread, so a little late. :smiley:

My first flight, Blackpool to The Isle of Man 1957. Silver City airlines Bristol Superfreighter, complete with walnut panelling throughout, marvellous memories.

3 Likes

Closest I’ve come to one of those was building the Airfix modl about 45 years ago! Sticks in my mind because it was by far the easiest to assemble, with precise fit and clean detailing, of any I ever made - very probably because it was both fairly pricey and thoroughly unglamourous, so not very many going through the moulds.

I love old aircraft, and we fairly regularly have various BoB flight and related passing overhead, as well as fairly elderly F15s from nearby bases plus newer Typhoon IIs. In Selby, the last Vulcan was a regular being based not too far away, though now grounded due to technical expertise literally dying-off …

Have a bit of an ambiguous relationship with old planes - I love to see them, but on the ground they kind of depress me as they slowly corrode away, unused, unusable, and likely beyond restoration … and in the air - well, most of them were not terribly reliable in their heyday 50-80 years ago and I have a neurotic horror of witnessing one of the too-frequent failures to remain skyborne…

Not visited a museum or airshow in decades as a consequence.

A few pet faves, FWIW…

DeHavilland_Hornet
DH Hornet - smaller, sleeker, more powerful, more metal-Mosquito.
For a long time there appeared to be no survivors, but it seems that TT193 that originally went to Canada is now with Pioneer Aero in Auckland with the intention to fly again, and the UK based static-airframe project continues its slow-moving progress.

Sea Fury

Needs no intro, fortunately a few still flying if people can manage not to keep breaking them! Another pared-back, last-days of frontline-props job. Insane torque, must have made carrier takeoffs interesting…

B36

Reasonably confident none of these will ever fly again, and given their reliablity record, probably just as well.
Starting life with 6 x arse-backwards ~4000hp piston engines proved nowhere near enough power to shunt the “Aluminium Overcast” (politest nickname it had) through the sky and as far as Russia, so they strapped on another four jets as well in later versions. Hated and feared by all who served in her, certainly killed more Americans than the Russians did… Morbidly fascinating product of the “let’s try this and see what happens” aircraft design era…

4 Likes

Percival Mew Gull - 1935 by uh_simon, on Flickr

Have you ever done the NASM museum in DC ? They pretty much have one of everything, including quite a few things of which there is only one - the Wright brothers’ Flyer, Lindbergh’s Spirit of St Louis, Enola Gay, Yeager’s Bell X-1 and the X-15 (still the fastest plane ever), Mercury Friendship 7 capsule (scariest thing I saw), Apollo 11 command module etc etc. It’s quite an overwhelming day out.

VB

3 Likes

I went with Coco after a visit to RMAF 3-4 years ago. Spectacular day out. The Blackbird & Shuttle were highlights although it’s quite a thing to ponder Enola Gay aswell.

1 Like
2 Likes

11 Likes