Lego

Mechanical faff. :slight_smile:

You would have thought that after having had toys like that you would have done something practical as a career :grin:

Thats a shame. They have a little Plumber

s-l640

1 Like

Meccano and Bayko were the way to go.

Needs bucket and am dram hobby on the side.

1 Like

I had Lego as a kid, but we were a bit skint so even then it felt quite pricey. I’m the oldest of four. My sister was never really into it but as I was growing out of Lego my brothers (10 and 12 years younger than me) were growing into it. My mum kept it all and it was still being used to entertain my niece when she was young.

Meccano was a step up. The range of things you could build was smaller, but some of them were viable as useful real-world devices. I think my brother once built himself some sort of guitar pedal using it and I was surprised to find that many of the parts were Stores items when I first joined the lab I worked at.

VB

Meccano is where its at when it comes to construction toys. I had loads of the stuff as a kid (still have it now).
Adult Lego is a relaxing thing to do on a wet January sunday afternoon, but that’s it really.

1 Like

This was my Christmas present to myself last year

2 Likes

Doesn’t look that difficult. It’s only got 6 parts

7 Likes

Yeah I hear you the days of blocky multicoloured cars and moon-bases are long gone (well in reality anyway, if you want to make garish blocky creations then it’s minecraft these days).
For me the fall began when they introduced ‘technics’ lego, you could build the 2 or 3 different things in the instructions but most of it was too specific for true creativity.
The final shot ot the head was the tie in / licensed kits, these HAD to include specific parts in order to be faithful to the subject matter. Can’t have Yoda looking like Kermit the frog now can we?
This is probably the reason I no longer really enjoy Lego.

1 Like

Now the kids are older it’s mostly the one off sets they like to build and put on display.

When they were younger the basic stuff, like the city sets, got built and quickly dismantled and rearranged. Wr also had boxes of bits anyway that were mine, and then my cousins before me.

Oh and my son does the first lego league at stem club after school. They use Technics/mind storms to build robots and complete challenges at competitions. Great stuff.

3 Likes

Sadly my wasteful halfwit brother binned-off our joint accumulation as he won’t have anything secondhand in the house, so my nephews were denied the random stuff. Irks me to this day, especially as what little family there is didn’t have the cash to be forever buying them bucketloads of new stuff…

Funny how things develop, I’m now into the renovation of old toys particularly Mamod and some Dinky cars, rainy day occupational therapy. I suppose re-living a lot of my childhood in many repects, funny old thing nostalgia.

2 Likes

It’s not what it used to be

2 Likes

I resisted that one

You deserve a smacked arse for that. How’s that for nostalgia :smile:

1 Like

My childhood Lego consisted of a half full shoebox of assorted 8x2, 4x2 and 2x1 blocks with two small flat bases. Consequently I thought Lego to be a bit shit.

1 Like

me too and it was great, I made all manner of space ships and bat shit crazy stuff.

no imagination?

Must be, after all basic Lego blocks fire the imagination so well there’s simply no need for single purpose custom kits.

1 Like