Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Perreaux arrived, it’s fairly big and heavy. Very clean sound, very different to the Hafler. I suspect it would like big full range monitors.

Liking it a lot more now it has warmed up for an hour. Really clear and defined sound with nice imaging, loads of detail.

5 Likes

Good timing he’s now gone all foo’ey so I expect prices would have trebled after the addition of some Icelandic volcanic sand.

Want.

You are welcome to borrow it sometime.

I might take you up on that when I have my giant monitors built :blush:

Like most Perreaux of this vintage it a fast amp. Let me know when.

One of the ESLs is off to One Thing tomorrow so out come the Royd A7Xs from the mancave. Could be a long couple of weeks…

A not so shiny thing out of your system then? :grinning:

It’s that time of year again, when the weather turns cooler and I reinstate the class A amps back into my system. :+1:

Before doing that, I thought I’d do a little comparison between the Alephs and the summertime amp I bought from Bob @ICHM earlier this year. I wasn’t at all disappointed back in May then when I connected up the Threshold Stasis S300, so a back-to-back listening session was had yesterday.

Given that both the Alephs and Threshold are Nelson Pass designs you might expect them to have a similar sound - and so it proved. In the mid and top they are very similar, both having a very open mid and very slightly rolled off top. The bass was a different story. Bob reckons class A amps are weedy in the bass, whilst I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that, the Threshold definitely has more extension and heft at the bottom than the Alephs.

The extra welly from the S300 at the bottom works well with some recordings and not so well on others, but the same is true in reverse with the Alephs, some records sound slightly bass light, others just right. Wasn’t it always so with recordings?

After much thinking, and given that I can only use the Alephs for 4/5 months of the year because of the massive heat factor, I’ve decided to keep the Threshold and sell the Alephs.

Lots of you won’t, but I quite like the looks of the Threshold - It’s very much from the Tuffbob school of design :grinning:

11 Likes

Flat i lived in 20 years ago was slightly smaller than that amp.

13 Likes

No room for a mahoosive phono stage :thinking:

It will live on the windowcill, behind the speaker - where the current one is :+1:

Where is your NAGAD Phono Stage Jim?

err, as per my previous post Dave :thinking:

1 Like

He just wanted to remind you that it is NAGAD’s :grinning:

1 Like

Soon Ritch, soon…:wink:

1 Like

Actually James I put in NAGAD editing my post while you got your post ahead of me. :nerd_face:

1 Like

When Jim when?

When it’s good and ready Dave…

I know it will be worth waiting for…:+1:

BK XLS200 MK2.

Wanted a sub in my bedroom system as the speakers are small satellite ones, so this will go in the lounge on the home cinema, will later buy a Mini DSP so I can use it in the hifi as well.

I like it so far, although dialling in a subwoofer “by ear” is nonsense.

2 Likes