Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Bigly fugly but sounding lovely.

10 Likes

Always have speakers bigger than your telly,tis the law.

7 Likes

What drivers are in the Lockwood’s?

:grin:

It’s puzzling how a 40" tv can look so much smaller in the photos.

They’re 15" Monitor Golds with the original crossovers which have just been recapped by Paul Coupe.

1 Like

How do they sound?

I’m struggling not to gush so I’ll just say they sound like they’re going to be here till I die. They do everything I want from a set of speakers.

I loved the Berkeleys so these were a safe bet - better drivers in bigger cabs. I had high expectations and to be honest they’ve been exceeded.

Anyway, short of an RCM and possibly a regenerator, that’s the system complete. I’m stopping here.

5 Likes

That’s great to hear.

An RCM is a must have, spend the regenerator money on more music, far better use :slight_smile:

Thanks Mike. I’m sure you’re right about the regenerator but I need to find out for myself. Once the bank account has recharged I’ll look out for an RCM. Then if a second hand AG1500 appears I figure I can try it and if it doesn’t work out I should be able to move it on.

Fair enough Paul.

Enjoy :grinning:

Always liked those Luxmans, which one is it that you’ve got?

It’s the L-590ax.

1 Like

Has anyone compared Lockwoods to GRFs?

I can see why, I preferred the Lockwoods to all the Tannoy enclosures excluding the corner GRF and Autographs.
A record cleaning machine trumps most kit upgrades IMHO -

Yes, there’s not much in it with the rectangular GRF, The Corner GRF’s were a rather different beast. I had a lovely meeting with an old Tannoy engineer who also pointed out the very best 15" cones were selected for the GRF’s and Autographs only - x1 set out of 20 were deemed appropriate apparently.

Thanks Matthew. An RCM is definitely coming soon. A friend has a pair of Autographs that he doesn’t use. They’re currently on loan to a closer friend than me. :smiley:

I’d love to hear them one day.

1 Like

This weekends system.:clown_face:

4 Likes

What do you think of the Gato Paul? ( clocked the 'Bay ad ! ).

It’s my brother in laws Gato - I’m selling it on his behalf so I am just using it while I wait for the ebay auction to finish.:smiley:

It’s a gorgeous bit of kit with a very clean neutral sound - maybe a touch lacking in slam compared to the best.

What is he replacing it with Paul?