Suggestions for (integrated, "digital") amp

All this reindeer, moose, geezer bollox is totally fuckin nonsense to me. However, it seems like the gato fits the bill nicely. Having heard one at Scalford, I think you need to stop looking at other shit and enjoy it.

1 Like

It is Canadian gear and it sounds poor in the cold :face_with_raised_eyebrow:?? Imagine how shite it sounds in -25C.

2 Likes

the demo model had been on for a couple of weeks, and was playing when we arrived. If it needs to be left on permanently I don’t want it in my system anyway.

So, after making an off-hand comment 3 days ago, 40 odd posts later, conclusions are

• Keep the Gato
  • Nobody likes Moon kit
  • Musicraft are doing some daft offers on Hegel kit. If I didn’t have the Gato I’d be all over their Rost or H90 offers.

@anon14766838 - I completely agree with @thebiglebowski (I think it was). Sonos offers all sorts of alarms and snooze functions, as well as doing the obvious.

So if I’m not buying a new amp, what other kind of shiny will make it all better?

I was thinking of some new speakers. The local dealer recommends these

https://totemacoustic.com/en/tribe-tower

and they look pretty shiny to me.

Never heard a pair of Totem speakers. I see those Tribe Towers are £5K new. This will buy you an enormous amount of shiny in bleak cold cash starved Brexit Britain in January.

I don’t know if we ever decided on a forum ethos, but “fuck it, I’m buying some huge fuck-off speakers” would be a good one.

6 Likes

Or a pair of Pass room heaters with £2.5k change :grin:

Yeeees.

I’m pretty certain that the wifelet would be wearing my nuts as earrings shortly after any such transaction.

1 Like

If you want floor standers in a nice painted finish, these could be just the thing.

They’re marvelous speakers and who could argue with the finish? WAF points ahoy!

Could also double up as his and hers coffins!

2 Likes

ART?

Nigel Polar Bear’s Deco 20s, £6K

They are the signature versions with the hi-foo kondo crossovers.

Trouble is they are ART so will sound bloody awful.

3 Likes

Weren’t they summat like £30K? That’s a truly horrifying hit of depreciation!

I’ve liked all the Totems I’ve heard but not sure how much of an upgrade they would be on the Wilson Benesch.

For you main system I’d just buy a really good DAC to improve the Sonos/Gato combo.

I don’t care. They look like giant red monkey coffins and I want them.

2 Likes

Fixt.

1 Like

They are fucking big and heavy (and fuuuuuuugly!) - you’ll need a large room (and blind bloke glasses).

Hate to admit it, but they sounded pretty good at PB’s with a squillion£’s worth of N**m.

The only ARTs I’ve heard that I actively disliked were the two box numbers that they did about 15 years ago. The current range are excellent in general. Not sure about all the Naim driving them though.

Yeah those potty-locker Emotions were terrible for the money - huge hole in the midrange, but subsequent 3-ways have all sounded good to me. Still don’t think they can make a good 2-way loudspeaker. Very VERY spendy now, too.

Naim can actually sound great IME and FWIW, and at the £££ PB’s certainly should sound good!