Today I have mainly been

Do you have to wear safety sandals at work Jim?

1 Like

Glad to see my contribution to the site is being suitably appreciated.:fist:

2 Likes

ours isnā€™t until sept - I thought I was going to be on leave, but I mixed up the dates. Iā€™ll be reading out the names of 200 or so undergraduatesā€¦ will be chairing the board that generates them for most of this afternoon

2 Likes

At least you wonā€™t have to worry about sorting them out into different classes. Apparently theyā€™re all the best now.

VB

1 Like

Amazingly, they are available, even with steel toe-caps :thinking:

These are so-called safety sandals but theyā€™re really just safety trainers with the instep cut away.

strangely we are a bit behind the curve on this one and under perform in this regard.

The % of good degrees (1st and 2iā€™s) is one of the metrics used for league tables and TEF, and it is one of the easier ones to manipulateā€¦hardly surprisingā€¦

Interestingly the release of this data coincides with information about high numbers of dropouts. I have seen a recent yet unpublished piece of work that correlates the two - the more dropouts you have, the more good degrees you award.

This is because you leave after 3 years with Ā£50K+ debt. so if focuses the mind compared to my time many years ago when I got a grant and pissed it up.

2 Likes

I jumped on the scales at the weekend after cakefest, Iā€™m now on a diet!

Hey donā€™t go dragging me in to itā€¦whatever it is anyway, iā€™m busy doing things.

Indeed. I never fail to be amazed at how often politicians set targets and are then shocked to find that organisations work to them.

VB

2 Likes

There is certainly some truth in this. We were lucky enough to experience it without the distorting effects of time-lag because, having completed an education under the UK system just a few years previously, we went to the US where Mrs VB enrolled in an undergraduate course. She was genuinely surprised at how hard-working and demanding the US students were, quite a few of whom were either paying themselves or were being funded by their parents.

Itā€™s a pain for employers though. The high-end ones are looking for the pick of each yearā€™s cohort, not just for those who are capable of doing the job, so theyā€™d sooner have a ā€˜top 10%ā€™ qualification rather than a ā€˜better than adequateā€™ one.

VB

Still canā€™t reconcile the basic question as to what economic and societal benefit we are really getting from sending roughly half a million a year into higher education. I can see very clearly whatā€™s in it for the institutions to have increased their capacity, but setting aside the debt of modern students what difference is this making to the outcomes of graduates?

Its the old ā€˜but are there 500k graduate jobs a year out there, and of those how many really need a degree and how many have undergone pointless ā€˜professionalisationā€™?ā€™ argument.

It may be the case that some folk lead and invest themselves within, intensely important external lives. We are however but creatures, limited and recovering if from nothing else than being borne. The pursuit of successes ā€˜baublesā€™ is transitory, illusory and ultimately akin to a child whistling in the wind in the grand scheme of humanity. Mr. MWS however is no shirk!, to transcend enlightened requires Olympic level discipline. To be the change you wish to see in the world whilst being a light to ones self is ā€˜the road less traveledā€™. I believe this to be the singular purpose of mans striving, yearning and march toward advancement. Mr. MWS strives during his ā€˜criticalā€™ nap time, it is here the foundations are laid, healing expanded, sculpting a rich inner world that is a beacon to all. -A cross he bares most humbly.

4 Likes

Yep, keep the prols stupid.

1 Like

Worked for you :grinning:

1 Like

I was too fick to go to uni, but ended up with a far better hifi than most of you cunts, haha.

14 Likes

Picking up shit for someone who got (at least partly) a promotion on the basis of the shit that I am currently picking up not needing picked up. IMO

:kissing:

1 Like

Fixt :+1:

2 Likes

Only because you didnā€™t spend your money on an Astra.

2 Likes