Today I have mainly been

Now home I’m mostly returning stereo to its previous location :confused:

Getting a haircut. Austin Powers has been banished with a No.1 all over.

did the mrs kick you out of there then ?:grin:

1 Like

and i was amazed that in some cases physio can help . a relative had physio for it

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/bppv-benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo

…mostly at my dad’s funeral. It was so draining. I got up and spoke for a bit which shot by in a flash and I keep having to ask Kerri whether I said stuff that I meant to, or I forgot. I think we gave him a decent send-off.

It seems that over his last few months he had wanted to talk more with my mum regarding losing half his family in the blitz. Apparently, he said that since the event (19.3.41) there hadn’t been a day when he hadn’t thought about it at least once.

What it must have been like, to be that adjacent to a 1000lb bomb going off, crawling out of the wrecked house deaf and bewildered, only to see your dad and brother still alive but torn to pieces doesn’t bear thinking about, let alone be haunted by it for 77 years. Like so many others of that era, he just got on with it…

29 Likes

And you can diy it… :grinning:

And me stayed there a lot in the last few years

1 Like

We love it down there, there is something about the landscape that is really beautiful. About half an hour drive from us.

The light I think is part of it

1 Like

{manhugs} at ya Ritchie - sure you did your best by the old fella :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Paul, just feel heartbroken for him that he had to carry that weight around with him for so long. No one has ever been able to talk about it before today really.

2 Likes

That’s really a lot to deal with, but you seem to have done a brilliant job of just being you and his son; any Dad would be proud of that.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine how I will deal with this situation when my Dad finally expires. It sounds to me like you’ve done a great job, Ritchie and should be proud of the send off you gave him.

:+1:

1 Like

Thank you Paul. I could never imagine how it would be either and weirdly I’m not entirely sure how today went. It seemed to fly by in a blur but bloody hell, I am tired tonight. I have to go to work tomorrow too. :unamused:

1 Like

Sometimes, just sometimes, work has to take second place. I always thought this was an impossible notion. I learned that it wasn’t.

Hence my current situation.

6 Likes

Sometimes you need to take time for yourself Ritchie - work can be a good distraction but not always.

Maybe you are right guys, I’ll see how I feel in the morning. Just so bloody busy at the moment.

3 Likes

That old phrase, Ritchie - “it’s not life-and-death” - give yourself some time to yourself to get your head around what’s happened and start to come to terms with it. Grieving’s a process that needs time.

3 Likes

Very much this Ritchie - your own well-being is more important than anything else.

I can only echo the point that these things take time.

I think it took me 12 months to really come to terms with my father’s death at the age of 65 (I was 31). There was much to reconcile in my head about who he was, how he lived his life and how he behaved towards his wife and children. Mostly though, I missed (and still miss) chewing the cud with him over a pint.

After the initial shock, the whirlwind of the funeral and sorting out his affairs, there was a period where I didn’t really feel anything. I subsequently started suppressing or ignoring any feelings of grief (stiff upper lip, let’s get on with life!). Understandable, but these things build up in the background and eventually bite you on the bum.

There’s no manual for dealing with it. The best advice I can give is to talk about it. Don’t feel bad if you go through periods of indifference, but conversely don’t bottle it up.

4 Likes