Today I have mainly been

You’ll have the union on your back :hushed:

The Unison rep is my EA (shared)

Who, the Amalgamated Table Dismantlers and Shipwrights Union ?

2 Likes

Not to be confused with the Amalgamated Table Assemblers and Ship breakers Union.

3 Likes

Tis great that hipster gimmicky wank it can even switch stuff on like a slow roast cooker and kettle.

Prog stat, that’s for dinosaurs like @MGOwner

1 Like

Oi ! I resemble that :angry:

2 Likes

Got the door glued and clamped for the window/door unit I’m making.

5 Likes

What’s the best remote heating control system then?

They are all bobbins in my experience. If you want to control from your phone then pick any one.

Your need may be different from mine. I have never lived in a house big enough where I have ever felt that I can’t be arsed to get up and turn the stat down. They are good for disabled tho.

Alas they are not that accurate in terms of heat control and suffer from overshoot. No, if you want to save money on bills, zone your heating ie upstairs and down.

5 Likes

And holiday homers.

Ahh ok ,thanks for that…

I’ve used the predecessor to Hive in two properties (3 stats) for about the last 5/6 years, and tbh it’s worked very well…

My main requirement has been to pre-heat the house before arriving, which was very useful when I was living abroad… So for example you could leave a property at 10C while away, and switch it up to 21C before arriving. The alternative was that you either had to wait 5 or 6 hours for it to be comfortable, or leave it at a higher temperature to reduce warm up time, but have it cost more in gas…

Regarding the overshoot, yes they do overshoot by about 0.7C to the temp you’ve set, but then that settles down after 20/30 minutes to your set temp. Once the set temp has been stabilised, I’ve never seen more than +/- 0.1C variation, so they maintain temperature very accurately imo…

Some of the later features that have been added to Hive are pure gimmicks imo, but the basic system seems to do its job very well… However I’m alway interested in better ways of doing things…

For example I’d love to know how you could remotely control my GF’s CH, that’s water underfloor system with 12 Stats!!

You all need a proper warm air heating system like us folk who live in the 1960s.

The house comes up to temperature in about 10 minutes.

Burn gas, to heat water, to heat air. Hmm, I think I can see an efficiency saving here.

12 stats ??? Fuck me… I’d just leave it off and wear a bobble hat.

Yes, four floor townhouse, 3 zones on each floor!

Works very well if you leave it on all the time… :grinning:

I can kind of see how that would be good in terms of arriving home.

My Honeywell has a holiday setting on it that does a similar thing. Failing that… if we are delayed or coming home early…I’ll txt my neighbour who will let herself in and switch on.

Also, she will likely leave a pint of milk and some bread. No hipster douch-bag remote will do that. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

shit that is hot… we are normally about 18C-19C, and I’m sitting here in a T-shirt

We need to talk.
My wife is fond of turning the thermostat to 30 when cold and the result is a house like a sauna when she doesn’t turn it back down

I see hive etc as a way to get some more control and compromise.
Isn’t that a good thing?

Far too cold for me that! :fearful:

Hive wouldn’t stop her turning it up high, but you can set it to send you an alert when the room goes over/under a certain temperature.

'spose.

I’d just save £190 plus fitting and fannying about and ask her to turn it down…or turn the system temp down and she can turn the stat to whatever temp she likes .

1 Like