Tour de Michael Winner?

Another amazing day, and great to see the camaraderie between GJ and Bernal. I do feel sorry for Alaphilippe though.

1 Like

Where does this leave Froome next year, because Iā€™m not quite so sure (understatement) heā€™s of the same mindset as G. Canā€™t see ā€œco-leadersā€ working out for the 4-time winner.

Interesting times ahead.

Probably aimed at different tours, one of them each as the target for the Giro, Vuelta and Tour.

I think that they will work for the greater good of the team until the later stages, where they work out who has the best chance of winning. If that is Froome, I imagine he will get the support he would need. Plenty of people have won it more times than him, and had full team support.

1 Like

Coming back to full form after what heā€™s been through in just one year is a big if. Usually takes a couple of years and heā€™s now knocking on. Has shown heā€™s tough and a fighter but think given his age he could well be done as a force

Ineos have Tao GH, Sivakov and Bernal coming through strongly, not sure theyā€™ll be holding their breath for a Froome comeback. Heā€™ll have to prove himself as will G. Not sure he had quiet the motivation necessary in pre-season. A poor run in and closely losing to IB may be just the motivation he needs to give it another full gas shot? Hope so

Agree.

Froome was very seriously injured and there will likely be complications. Looking at the younger group coming through it seems inconceivable that heā€™ll be giving them a run for their money next year and the year after that feels a long way off in sporting terms.

Iā€™d love to see G have another go but sense he may not have the fire that IB and others have.

The generations turn over very quickly in pro sport.

I know itā€™s easy for me to say from the comfort of my chair but I wish G had left the comfort of Sky and gone to a team where he would have been the outright leader.

To go into the TdF as the defending champ but not as the leader of the team is scandalous.

I donā€™t care if Ineosā€™ tactics were proved right I hate the whole Cattenatio tactics.

This TdF has been the most enjoyable for years as it hasnā€™t been dominated by one team.

Thomas De Gentā€™s stage win will go down a one of the greats.

Great tour this year. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Iā€™m not convinced that there is a team strong enough to rival Ineos at the moment. G knows whatā€™s good for him, and as he is in the latter stages of a stellar career as a cyclist, I think he believes he was better off staying with Brailsford and going for a podium place as a minimum.

Had Pinot stayed in the race though, I reckon G would have finished further back, maybe even off the podium. He was in much better form in the mountains last year.

Alaphillipe was never going to last the pace in the Alps, but he certainly added some flair and excitement to proceedings.

As for Froome, time will tell us if he can get back to somewhere near his best.

Vive le tour!

1 Like

If G had shown strength during the run in heā€™d have gone in as team lead. Likewise had he shown he had the strength to ride away from rivals as the Tour developed theyā€™d have got behind him. Pretty sure DB would have been keen to have another multiple Tour winner on the roster. Gā€™s form was only so so, no real surprise the Team decided to hedge their bets.

Real shame Pinot didnā€™t stay fit, would have made for a really exciting finish.

1 Like