Weird Food Combinations that Work...maybe. (We've moved on from Hot Cross Buns)

LOLZ :smile:

Salted butter improves pretty much everything. See Last Tango in Paris for further details.

5 Likes

that depends on how gritty you like it.

I think they HCB have mixed spice in them whereas teacakes do not.

I imagine less died fruit though, which would make them inferior for my purposes.

Of course the real champion is a Chelsea bun.

"The main difference is the marking of the cross on top of a hot cross bun, which is typically a seasonal Easter food to be eaten on Good Friday. In addition, hot cross buns usually contain spices while some teacakes generally do not; however (and especially depending on the region of the UK), some teacakes are spiced.

There is also regional variation to the use of dried fruit. Teacakes (as well as hot cross buns) normally do contain dried fruit, but in East Lancashire, the former West Riding of Yorkshire and other parts in the North, teacakes usually do not contain dried fruit.

In the UK, the major supermarkets offer variations on the traditional recipe for hot cross buns with orange and cranberry, apple and cinnamon, and toffee flavours."

Teacakes are also in my experience thinner and wider and therefore go crisper when toasted.

:scream:

apparently the real and only proper hot cross bun is from St Albans cathedral - maybe I’ll see if can get over there this week

https://www.stalbanscathedral.org/news/archive/2018/original-hot-cross-bun-returns-to-st-albans-cathedral

Flavoured with cardamom :thinking:

With the powdered grinding of The Lord’s callouses :+1:

3 Likes

In the workshop this translates to cadmium - It sets off IBS a treat

2 Likes

Being consumed tonight

1 Like

I was going to suggest you buy in bulk and offer a delivery service - AmDisOcado

1 Like

they look a bit damp. Fosters again?

HCBs toasted with lashings of seasalted butter, otherwise they are just pappy breadwads for babby to gum on.

You can close the thread now :+1:

2 Likes

They look superb.

Moist, I think, is the word you are looking for.

They look like no hot + I have ever seen and I am fearful that this and the fact they are flavoured with cardamom is giving them the distinct whiff of bun foo. I am hoping a better look when that packaging is removed. Remember the vag on toast episode when he went out looking for St Albans’ best mince pie…?

It’s early in this thread gentlemen, lets take our time, especially with local custom comestibles. :+1:

1 Like