Yet another thread for the purposes of awarding a cockpunch

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/senior-tory-sought-libor-funds-for-charity-under-commission-scrutiny.html
Tldr: Hi-vis George may have effectively paid Jim Davidson charity money because all around knob-without-portfolio David Davis asked him to.

A CP to those who think it’s fun to say they’ve had a nap and will have wine and a cigar with lunch.

Jealous? Moi?

1 Like

Right, the Daily Mail can have one for trying to tie Jo Cox’s murder in with immigrants and not 100% the result of some deluded Nazi bigot. Have a squiz at this tweet:

Then have a read of this. Unbelievable…

Vile cunts.

6 Likes

Hang on a second…there’s one of them Johnny Foreigner names right there. Has the Daily Fail fucked-up somewhere? Somebody should tip off the immigration people…

Anything with a Black Friday reference can disappear up a large flabby Merkian fundament. Stupid example: Black Friday reduced subscription to an accountancy website and news feed.

1 Like

After much prompting they finally realised that it totally stifled growth & didn’t work so ushered it away (as a policy) quietly. Unfortunately a lot of the cuts already set in motion are now starting to bite.

But now borrowing to invest is the thing to do (stolen from elsewhere) & it seems the Conservatives can do as much of this as they like without fear of being labelled irresponsible by the media. It’s very amusing that they still regard themselves as prudent & reliable stewards of the economy. Even without the cost of Brexit they’re still bumping up borrowing by a further £60 Bn. If they’d borrowed to invest sooner they’d have stimulated growth earlier & wouldn’t now be needing to borrow so much.

1 Like

I think it was going OK, but leaving the EU has thrown everything up in the air.

Austerity was always a misnomer. When I think of austerity, I think of post-war Britain in the early 50s. That was real austerity. There’s no way you could implement that sort of austerity today. It would be political suicide.[quote=“murrayjohnson, post:328, topic:85”]
If they’d borrowed to invest sooner they’d have stimulated growth earlier & wouldn’t now be needing to borrow so much.
[/quote]

Actually they’d be piling debt on top of more debt, since most of these infrastructure projects which I assume you’re referring to have 15-20 year execution timescales and even longer payback.

Have to laugh when the fans have voted for non-league status, rather than Championship.
Then the Manager wakes up, and starts throwing money at the insoluble problem of long-term decline. :slight_smile:

Under these Tories borrowing as a % of GDP has gone up from 36% to 84%, and GDP has risen. This is the cost of quantative easing and the profligate waste of Cameron.

1 Like

Nope. Rather than stifling growth as Osborne did from 2010 onwards it would’ve been better to get the projects going earlier. Deficit reduction as a priority was a wholly political decision. It wasn’t a necessity. It’s also too easy to blame all the problems on Brexit which, lest we forget, was entirely the result of Cameron’s fear of losing support to UKIP. The responsibility for it lies with the Conservative party putting their own self preservation ahead of what was best for the country. The last 6 years have seen some disastrous decisions and, as the IFS pointed out yesterday it isn’t looking as though the next 4 will be any better.

7 Likes

I suppose you’d have preferred someone of John Redwood’s ilk at the helm, because it certainly wasn’t going to be anyone from Labour.

This narrative about Brexit being a Conservative thing is pretty wide of the mark. Lest we forget that the overwhelming numbers that voted for it in Labour Heartlands without nary a whimper from JC and JM. Let’s at least agree on collective responsibility.

I think you may be confusing the electorate with the party

It hasn’t just been Redwood. We’ve had far too many moronic Conservative politicians sniping incessantly at the EU for the past 30 years.

According to Yougov research after the event, 39% of Conservative voters voted to remain while 61% voted Leave. 65% of Labour voters voted to Remain while 35% voted Leave and 68% of Lib Dem voters voted to Remain while 32% voted Leave.

I’d say that was pretty conclusive unless you’ve actually got any evidence to support your assertion that it wasn’t a Conservative thing.

1 Like

Sounds like plausible, reliable polling. FFS.

1 in 3 Lib Dem voters went, “nah, let’s leave.” Just like that. Of course.

And your more accurate analysis derives from what exactly?

Using my brain.

2 Likes

FFS why is it cyclic wam threads get closed down in pico seconds but you lot insist on going round in circles with this fucking brexit wank.

The vote is done, it was wrong, get over it and fuck off.

1 Like

Mute the thread if you don’t like it. The software is your friend.

2 Likes