2020 Formula One

5 Likes

This should be Inundated with hifi questions now.

4 Likes

Yes, that would be amusing :slight_smile:

And fox questions. Trust me on this one: Frank vs. fox-huggers will get messy fast.

3 Likes

4 Likes

While not really F1, it’s worth recognising the loss of one of the Andretti clan. A decent driver in his own right but a huge loss to a family with massive links to the sport we love…

1 Like

"Dad, sounds like you were very lucky that Rubens didn’t turn up until half way through the season. "

2 Likes

Don’t knock JB - he bought 1000x more women into motorsport than Formula W will ever do…

2 Likes

Well, with Lance Stroll’s dad now effectively owning Aston Martin, you have to wonder how much of this article might come to fruition…?

3 Likes

Yeah, I read a similar (same) article from another source and thought it was all conjecture and a piece of fantasy.
The actual acquisition of AMC changes things. It will be interesting to see how this affects Red Bull sponsorship in the longer term (maybe an engine deal?). Will AMC enter as a chassis builder, engines or manufacturer ? Will Mercedes remain as an engine supplier but badge engineered ? Geely taking over Racing Point ?
It creates some interesting potential scenarios.

I, for one, will be following this intently.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Not surprisingly I will be following this very closely.

F1 lives in its own bubble but every now and again gets affected by changes happening to the global economy.

I would like to see F1 become a series with far fewer rules, a realistic budget cap, that is so well engineered that it is enforceable, and more smaller teams. Thereby encouraging innovation, which F1 has, apart from the hybrid engines, pretty much killed off.

But this seems extremely unlikely to happen, even in the longer term, until the automotive OEMs change their approach dramatically.

3 Likes

The eternal complaints I see sicked-up onto social media are “lack of excitement” and “old demographic”.
The latter seems pessimistic with a demographic averaging 40, but the former is an issue, because by “excitement” the typical casual means “crashes”, while the rest of us want closer racing - just not an IndyCar one-make-series version of closer…
So yeah, you’ve nailed it, but especially regarding the financial level playing field, how do you persuade the Sacred Turkeys of F1 to vote for Xmas?

An oft quoted comparator is NASCAR. Deemed as exciting due to multiple lead changes and so many changes of position, up and down the grid, that it becomes impossible to keep track.
This is stupid people’s idea of excitement. Simple stuff for simple people.
As the self professed “Pinnacle of Motorsport”, F1 should have regs which allow the “possibility” of overtaking but not making overtaking so simple that it’s expected (queue justification for getting rid of DRS).

Under the current (and past) governance, team’s have ultimately decided the rules. None will give up their own (perceived) advantage. Thus we have a set of rules which pander to all while misunderstanding how a F1 car actually works and what constitutes good racing.
Until that changes, we’ll just have a cycle of half baked rule changes that appeal to the simplistic, but solve nothing.

1 Like

Exactly, I cannot see turkeys voting for Christmas.

But I can see the big car manufacturers pulling out due to costs as their sales start to decrease. F1 needs to be ready for this with an appropriate plan, that is already underway.

1 Like

cue

sorry, had to be done…

1 Like

Actually to both of you.

A good set of comments that describe the mess that F1 is in.

Unfortunately Ross and his team have not really delivered with the 2021 rules.

With the net result that the big teams have spent a lot of money prior to the budget cap (this will be peak F1 budget spend for a very long time) and pretty much all teams have to develop 3 cars for 2020 (a 2020 car, a 2020 car that can take the 18" rims and a 2021 car). This is madness!

The aero team have delivered a solution that requires DRS, despite all the talk that by getting rid of the wake, cars will be able to follow much more closely. In fact the consequence of this is that the following car requires a bigger DRS than they currently have. This is because as they near the end of the straight and the following car needs to pull out to overtake, there is no slipstream effect and so the car behind will not have enough speed differential to overtake. And hence needs a massive DRS effect to enable him to overtake as he nears the end of the straight.

The above is a generalised description to try and illustrate the core problem and there will of course be scenarios where they can overtake, but the rules will not result in what they said would happen.

2 Likes

I think the main problem is that the fastest car/team/driver qualifies at the front, this is the one biggest hinderence to overtaking.

Strewth… Timing has certainly not been well thought through! Doesn’t seem like much has. Yeesh.

Trouble is, with the current status quo that’ll give a dozen interesting laps, then business as usual. Plus I don’t sense much love for this scenario, even where it’s been used for years; smells of artifice.