2021 Formula One - The Bollox Continues

With a few exceptions yes they are.
Most fastest lap records have been set in the last 3 seasons.

Interesting thanks.

The steady increase in the weight limit has been in line with both the legal limit to the number of gearboxes and power units permitted and hybrid elements. The BMW V10 weighed about 95kg and had a life of <400km. Nowadays the Power Unit is more powerful than it was, uses 40% less fuel but has to last about 20 times as long. The gearbox internals used to last one race now the 'box is sealed for multiple events and even the ratios are fixed for the season (I think) drivers used to ask for different ratios for almost every session and it was all new for each race and mainly scrap afterwards.
The new rules have some standard parts which are cheaper but heavier than the custom ones hence yet another increase.

Nothing about the extra weight will make the cars safer, they pass the tests whatever the weight.

8 Likes

I would agree with all that except perhaps to add that the additional weight will make the cars more dangerous.

At any given speed to slow the race car down will require a greater deceleration force.

Overall this will be more dangerous for the driver and for the marshals and possibly spectators.

2 Likes

Conservation of momentum.

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2022 Formula One

Given the FIA are reviewing activities at the end of the last race of the 2021 season, the view of Hamilton fans that he was robbed, and the view of Verstappen fans hat Mercedes made a mistake by not pitting for tyres, I offer this.

Hamilton dominated the race and was 10 seconds ahead of Verstappen when the Safety Car was brought out following Nicholas Latifi’s crash in his Williams.

Masi had an option at the time – the Safety Car, or a red flag. He went with the Safety Car.

I think he did this because it should have been a quick recovery, requiring little time on the part of the stewards. His anticipation could have been that the track would be cleared and racing would resume with a number of laps to be completed. A recovery vehicle was very close to Latifi’s car, there was an escape road also very close by. It would be a quick recovery so a Safety Car was the correct decision.

Then the brakes on Latifi’s car caught alight while it was being recovered. That meant the recovery had to stop, while marshals used a fire extinguisher on the fire, and that meant material got on to the track. At this point we’re already beyond the time Masi anticipated the safety car would be on track, but the earlier decision means the safety car stays out.

By this time, a red flag was no longer possible - rules say you must have an out-lap as well as a timed lap - as there couldn’t be a restart.

Track is cleared, safety car leaves the track, and we have one lap to run.

The race could have finished under the safety car, but you can imagine the fuss that would have made, having the final lap essentially a parade lap for the championship winner.

Re: tyre changes - Red Bull gambled and changed tyres. Mercedes saw the situation developing and decided they didn’t need to. If… But… If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, Hamilton would have had a Merry Christmas. :wink:

Was there a valid reason or precedent for the unlapping of the cars that were on track between Hamilton and Verstappen? I’ve no idea.

The Haas looks quite sleek but not particularly interesting. I wonder if anyone will come up with something a bit different.

Well all the cats should have been allowed to unlap. Not allowing the cars behind Verstappen to unlap meant firstly that Verstappen would not have anyone attacking him from behind but also that the safety car came in a lap earlier than it should have.

2 Likes

Welcome Gustard, but that’s fanboi bollocks. On what evidence do you base the likely hood of anyone actually attacking Verstappen ?

Forum in a nutshell :+1:

4 Likes

Being new doesn’t mean you are automatically right.

1 Like

Absolutely. Although TBH I understand very little of what is discussed in this thread.

You are not alone. You’ll fit in well :+1:

2 Likes

While true, it’s fair to say there are also ways of expressing that fact that are a little less likely to deter noobs from ever bothering to post again…

2 Likes

hahahahaha

Pot kettle etc :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You’ve changed, I don’t know who you are anymore.

2 Likes

I was being nice.

2 Likes